Warning: FS1 Flight Simulator snags - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Flight Simulators Discuss flight sims.

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
Warning: FS1 Flight Simulator snags

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just picked up the FS1 following a discussion with the store selling it and verifying that the package without the controller will work with my Futaba transmitters.

WRONG! There is an adapter cord. But it will not connect. I have a Futaba 7 channel - the new version which is now about 3 years old - and a 9C Super.

The adapter cord will not connect to these since it's not the current, Futaba square plug. So that makes the whole thing quite useless for current Futaba transmitters, eventhough the info on the box claims that it works.

Another typical R/C rip-off.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Michael K
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
How can they market a current product without the Futaba square plug??? I generally like Horizon Hobby and most of their products (Hangar 9 / Eflite / JR) but to sell a latest generation r/c flight simulator that includes the hardware for their JR products and only the "older" Futaba products without specifically stating that on the box is wrong.
I hope you make a stink about this and try to have them send you an adapter no charge, however I'm doubtful they will go that far for you.

btw here is a link to the support forum for setting up different transmitters with FS One http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1038-FS1

If it has wings, rotors or two wheels, I'm interested!
InvertedMike is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Futaba makes it difficult to buy the connectors.

If you can buy the connector, it is extremely simple to make an adapter.

Why did Futaba choose to change to connector? I think they may have lowered the cost by $2, maybe 3.

(I also have a 7c, but G2 came with the correct adapter)
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor

Okay, guys.

Here's an update on the FS 1 simulator fiasco.

H9 has an adapter cord available for current Futaba radios. It's on back order though and the rep at Horizon told me that they have not yet been received by them. Naturally, I have no idea if this is true or false or somewhere in between.

I managed to get my hands on a new controller box from Horizon having tried my JR Century 7 radio with very limited success.

The suggestions about slowing down the graphics accelerator on the computer, shutting down everything that is not needed and background progs etc. are all to no avail. Even with the H9 controller, this P.O.S. keeps crashing the operating system.

Before you jump on the "you must have an underpowered computer" bandwagon, let's look at that issue.

My machine not only surpasses the claimed minimum requirements, it exceeds the ideal requirements that Horizon list, in most cases by a long margin. The video card has twice the suggested ideal memory. The computer has more than twice the recommended ideal memory. They processor is faster than the ideal suggested and so forth.

Most of the airplanes crash the OS. All of the helicopters crash the OS.

Even tried an uninstall and fresh, clean install of the FS (takes about 1 hour each time).

There is no further suggestion from Horizon. The response at this point is head scratching.

Well, I know my response. Throw out the P.O.S. Tell the world and let Horizon keep all their garbage.

This product IMO is not ready for prime time or retail distribution. Selling something in this state without full disclosure of its state of development being so incomplete is cheating. And since cheaters cheat everywhere, why take a chance that they are not attempting to cheat you on their other stuff? I will not.

This says nothing of how the prog simulates planes. In reality, especially if you expect it to "fly" as a real plane does, it's nowhere close. For example, trim for striaght and level flight. The sim plane will not hold this. After setting as close as possible for striaght and level, let it run on its own. Wait a couple of minutes and the plane crashes. Real cool. Neither my models or full size tdo that.

Set up straight and level with trim. Add a bit of trim for a very gentle right turn. Return the trims to straight and level. It doesn't do that. It now sustains a left turn. Put trims back to the position for the mild right turn. You get a steep right turn. Maybe even a tight spiral dive.

Try minor control movements just at the neutral stick positions. You get very jerky model response with over control. Move the stick a lot more. The response to stick position improves. Go further; it's anybody's guess. Could be more or less movement depending on the prog.

Hey kid, ya wanna learn to fly? Let's put this model in the air and get you on the sticks. Take all that simulator junk and toss it in the crapper!

Waste of time and money. I guess that's why it's called simulation. It pretends to be something that it is not. In this case, I'd say a simulation of a flight simulator at best.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Give it a while, they will have to fix it. I have no doubts about that. I'm sure Realflight had it's issues every time it was released.

I can't think of any PC game I have bought that REQUIRED a substantial patch just to run. I've even played games that I payed every month for, and the first 3 months, it was a gamble wether the world would crash or not. Some were stable, some were not (dozens of servers were running this game, all ran by the manufacturer). Everything was fine when I was playing it in BETA, but when it went retail, it went for a crap. Took a good 2-3 months for them to get their ducks in a row.

I'm sorry you had the experiences you did. Good luck with future sims!!

and thanks for the warning, I've been debating on wether I should sell my G3 for FS1, apparently, not quite yet.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Originally Posted by OneWay
I got FSOne last Friday and have had the weekend to play and figure things out. First impression, I love it! I have been doing allot of flying on the LHS's G3 and I like this alot better. I feel that FSOne has better graphics and feels allot more real. (The Alpha40 slides when turning across a cross wind just like my trainer did.) I am no expert but I was able to feel the difference.

Very well said. I've owned G3 since June. I bought FS One last week after the 3.5 upgrade fiasco. Michael, you should thank the guys over at KE for that G3.5 update as it may have sent some customers your way

Prior to 3.5 release I had flown FS One at the local hobby shop a few times. I too noticed FS One did have a better general feel. Ground handling, take offs and landings seem very realistic. The graphics are very clear and sharp. The plane views available in the 3d flying fields are terrific almost bounding on overkill. I find I can fly this sim for longer periods of time as it stays enjoyable longer and does not get boring. Really could care less for the games that come with it but I don't have to play them either.

Don't get me wrong, G3 is a great sim. I just personally enjoy flying FS One more.

SO as with anything computer oriented it still could be certain hardware, certain software, certain settings, etc. Appears to be a terrific product for some!
One experience does not indicate "typical".

When I first "played" with FMS I thought it was crap. When I got everything sorted out it has been pretty good for free.
This software may be great in the right environment.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor

Well, guys.

It's true that many computer progs require tweaking. But a total sysytem crash and recovery from fatal errors is another matter.

I also tried a sample version of FS 1 as well as the GP simulator at Toledo last spring and felt that the FS one was superior. That is definitely not the case with this example.

The snags here are not minor. It would be like your enigne blowing up asn self destructing every time you fired it up with about a 10 second run time.

Who is the tester here, the manufacturer or the retail customer? If it's not ready for retail distribution, it's not ready. Just call it a beta and be done with.

If you are already into retail distribution and your product does not perform as claimed and you have no clue as to what's going on, there is a problem, if not several. Remember, we're not talking some incompatible or low resource computer system system here. We're talking a machine which exceeds the max specs for this thing to run. And no matter what you do, it does not run.

Oh, and patches. Yes, they've alrady had one about the beginning of the month. And all that does apparently is to address some issue with naming dertain models. Which ones? What issues? Who knows. Horizon didn't give me the details.

It's nide to see that some of you have your FS 1 simulators running and are quite pleased with them. Let's hope your good performance continues.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
RCC Noob

Did you try changing sound settings per:

Usually video is the suspect - so an audio "fix" is a bit of a surprise.
ninelaps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Hi Guys,
I purchased the FS1 just before Christmas, and once loaded onto my new computer I had computer shutdowns everytime I tried to fly some of the planes but not all of them. I contacted the vendor's support line and actually spoke to a real person. He quickly remedied the problem by changing the audio settings. The simulator hasn't crashed since.
If you have problems they seem to be on top of it.
Has anyone found other planes that work with this new product yet.... I'm more interested in jets, scale jets....
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.