2006 Hobby SHow impressions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
2006 Hobby SHow impressions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Remember that the last time that I was out to the Hobby SHow was over five years ago (when it was located at the last unit in the complex).

This is really an RC show with some other hobbies like stamping, quilting, beads plus some purely commercial items like the salad slicer and the pet-hair remover. There may be others butI wasn't really paying attention.

There are bargains to be had (you save at least the tax) but you have to look for them.

Did see a lot of people with depron 3D kits tucked under their arms and lots of T-Rex helicpopters as well as others.

Did spot one booth that was selling the micro helicopter from Wal-Mart for $75. THe Wal-Mart price is $30 if you cn find it. I think that this is the TMX for the older kids this year.

I do know that Hobby Hobby and Hobby Wholesale (?) did have items that people were going "did you see the price?" on but nothing like the mythical Toledo Sunday afternoon knock-downs that you hear about. Of course, I was there on Friday afternoon.

THe guys from I-Care were pushing the plettenberg brushless motors and showing off their depron and epp kits. Price about $5 below retail and all-in. THe neat new kit from them is the DeHavilland Vampire edf kit for the -50 unit. Not absolutely sure of his name, but one of the three main guys did it in a rush the night before the show (take a look at the top wing surface to see what I mean -- it's actually the BOTTOM wing surface -- he flipped it!)

If you're looking for a bargain on 6-32 and 4-40 bolts, there's a booth with turbine jets near the boat pond that was selling a comparment box of various bolt lengths in hardened steel as well as nuts, washers, and other bits-and-bobs for $20.

Let's see who else was there - the major hobby shops from the GTA, Metro Marine Modellers, EMFSO, MAAC, AHFC, railroads, Meccano, FIRST robotics (and another robotics tournament group).

It's not Toledo, bargains are there, it is definitely mostly R/C (getting back to its roots), and it is worth the price of admission.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 0
Hey Hats off to Bob Hudson for all his hard work AGAIN to

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

I can not take much thanks for the MAAC booth at the Hobby Show. Sure, I delivered it and put it up on Thursday.

The real thanks goes to the 30 plus MAAC members who gave up their time to staff the booth. I think they all had a good time too.

Rich Howe, Bill Davies, and Ross Gammage were the key ingrediants for organizing the ( 10 ) float flyers for the two Friday shifts.

Chris Brownhill ( Balsa Beavers ) brought in the U-Control group on Saturday morning ( thanks to John McFayden for comming in from Hamilton).

Mike Clemmens organized the Scale Aerobatic team for Saturday Afternoon / evening shift.

Mike Wilson and the Toronto R/C Heli group came out in force for the Sunday early shift. They were having such a great time, and the ( aprox 10 ) helis on the front table were such a big hit that they stayed on until late afternoon. Many thanks to the heli group.

The Sunday afternoon "sunday flyers" group was organizerd by Sammy ( Concordfan). Sammy asked if he could display his ( work in progress) "Connie" in the MAAC booth. I declined his offer due to lack of table space. ( hey we had a 30 foot booth, but the tables were already full!) Sammy was lucky enough to grab a small booth at the last minute on behalf ot the Tornto Aerospace Museum, and he displayed his model there. He bounced back and forth between his booth and the MAAC booth Sunday afternoon. Thanks Sammy for organizung the team.

Thanks John Hugh Boyd of the Canadian Rocket Society. They had a great display adjoining the MAAC Booth. We split booth duties back and forth all weekend.

Between the MAAC Booth and the CRS booth we had 50 feet of floor space . It was a very significant display.

Thanks again to all the helpers, Bob
Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Thanks Bob and Maac

No problem Bob, as always i try to help out in promoting our hobby, it was honour for me to organize a team to support Maac and i hope i did good job on it, i will countine to do my best in future too.

As for my impression of this year's Hobby show, i was actually impressed, apart from Salad-cutters, Quilters and Snakes, i really enjoyed it, mind you i was in pain all the time due to my accident but still at times it was like i never had that accident and i was enjoying. I really like the entry of real aircraft groups this year by Zodiac aircraft kit builders, that was amazing of all in my opinion, i have never seen this type of display at Hobby show since i have been going to it for almost 10 years now. I met with lots of old friends that i haven't seen in years, and made few new ones and also with RCC'ers, i got thumbs up from almost every one who visited my booth in regards to S Connie CF-TGE's aqusation campaign, no one really wants this aircraft to leave Toronto, they all want it to be preserved at Toronto Aerospace Museum. It was nice of TAM to participate and make use of access floor space at my booth and over all it was great H Show this year, i like to Thanks Ted Curl, Carl and Scott (management team of H Show) to give me floor space for the booth, i appreciated it very much.

Do sign the petiton. www.canadiansuperconnie.org We could Save our Connie CF-TGE, We still have chance, Once gone we will lose our History and Heritage forever....
Concordefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
One only negative thing I found this year about the show was that every booth seemed to sell the micro heli's They would demo them for all to see and most of the time they had no idea or control over them. No saftey netting or frequency control. A few times I found myself having to duck or pull( gently ) a small child out of the way or they might have been hit. I seen a few display booths non r/c related bought the reaaly small radio shack and smaller silverlit heli's and were trying to fly them as weel. People with no r/c related expeirnce(which is ok in a nonpopulated place) attempting to fly them around over other booths and up to the ceiling. I kept thinking with the high cielings if the heli reached the toip then lost control. It come down many yards away to someone minding their own business not expecting anything.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.