? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
kersplat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian R

OK, I understand your frustration (I HAD an os 46la) Keep in mind these engines were made cheap to sell cheap to compete in the cheap class of engines. OS is still one of the best engines you can buy, just not the la series.. The 46AX is a beautiful piece of work, that produces gobs of power, is smooth and reliable, quiet, and i am quite sure it will be long lasting with proper care.

I have owned a few "cheaper" 40 size engines, and honestly most of them were a disapointment. but the higher end os engines have NEVER diapointed me.

A lean run on any engine can permanently damage it!! Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes the damage you did is not noticeable right away, point is if it runs lean, it was not good for it.

FWIW, a fellow I am teaching to fly has the 40LA and I had the 46LA. Mine ran well for a season, but died a terrible death in a SPAD crash. Had about 4 gallons through it. It was reliable, but limited power (about what I expected for that line though)
The fellow I am teaching to fly has almost 2 gallons through his now and it also runs very well, not much power, but it does run well.

sorry for the rant. I do agree that these are not the greatest engine to go buy, but for the asking price, they are not that bad. They are NOT powerhouses, they will not last for hundreds of gallons of fuel.
They are a nice reliable, light, compact, powerplant that will run for some time.

Awww crap my rudder fell off.
green@3D is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

LA engines

"A lean run on any engine can permanently damage it!! " I've been running model engines since 1978 and I use fuel with castor oil in it or added to it. I've had engines that ran way over lean from one problem or another (to the point of sagging)in all of those years but none have EVER been damaged in the slightest. These engines range from McCoy iron piston engines to some Asian brands. I know that Kaz Mihara of Thunder Tiger Formerly of OS, ensures that the "old" OS quality is built in every TT engine. Even the nickle plating is more than double the industry standard in thickness. There are better quality brands out there for the entry level that far exceed OS' Deplorable LA line. The LA line have two tiny bronze bushings at either end of the C'shaft journal, TT has a full length bronze bushing on the journal. And the Price for the TT is quite pleasing for the beginner. I do not favor any engine manufacture out there, but I do favor the manufacturer that build robust engines with better quality.
There is no such thing as a landing, it's a controlled crash.
Jim West MAAC 22948
kersplat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
I agree with Brian, I have had 3 OS engine, my first being an OS46LA... ya it was cheap but you know what, its still kicking after a ton of harsh flights. I've since had an OS 1.6FX which was one of the nicest engines I've had to date. I was so impressed I just bought an OS 1.20AX equally as nice with alot of cool features.

I would not discourage any beginner from buying OS, yes the LA line is rather cheap but thats what it was ment to be. The new AX and old FX line are bullet proof or damn near it.

I feel you frustration also, but don't bash the company just that product line(LA).
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.