The wife gave me the whole basement for my hobby room! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Yup, been there...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The only concession for me was that the washer/dryer was down there as well, otherwise it was all mine. I had a huge HO car track layout, a 12' building bench, access to the garage, the whole nine yards. Wifey was happy as all getout because I did the laundry while I was down there building: do you realise how little time it takes to do 3 loads of laundry when you are building a Standard Class sailplane?

Alas, those days are gone, but I don't need big saiplanes anymore, even though I have plans for up to 13' if I want to...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:50 AM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
We have a 2100+ sq ft walkout lower level, 700 of that under the attached garage(my workshop). I don't get the whole floor.

700 sq feet is enough for me.

There is one window in the workshop area.(should have been larger).

There is a side door to the outside with a short distance around the corner of the house to the driveway, for reasonable loading and unloading of things just fixed or to be fixed or just built. The garage has a third stall for the boat in winter, but in the summer it stores my models and in the winter some of the models stay up there in case the snow is gone or it's warm enough for flying off the snow. The garage stays at about 11C in the winter so I don't spend a lot of time out there, but underneath in the workshop I keep it at a good room temp.

What with the radial arm, compound mitre, band, scroll saws, drill press, compressor, belt/disc sander, etc. the room is just adequate with about 25 feet of building table plus other space and shelving for hardware, tools, etc.

25 feet of building table and right now I'm assembling an ARF with about a 35" wing span and converting it to electric.

I should invite three guys over to share the space but I don't! :P

Way too much for me but hey, what's a guy supposed to do?

PS: There is a small (100 sq foot) quilting area in the other part of the lower level for .....

But I did get to finish 1200 sq feet of the lower level, do most of the plumbing, electrical, etc. as a result of all the tools and time available to me. My wife has helped with that part. Almost done!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1
Well, my building area is upstairs and access is via a metal CIRCULAR staircase so its a real treat going up and down.

channel38 ( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4
OK here goes; if you are planning from scratch, and the lot is big enough, NO BASEMENT! In Saskatchewan we dug holes inthe ground and watched them fill up with water and call them dugouts (for watering stock), here in Manitoba they are called basements. All on one level ,or two-storie, but no more pit for me!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
"Do or do not...there is no try"
roscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Humidity is often an issue with basements, include a good dehumidifier on your list.

I moved froma basement workshop with a grarage loft for storage into a Garage workshop. It's nice having everything in one location but a bit of a pain when you want to paint, even worse if you want to spend time sanding between coats....

I don't know if you're loking for a place to charge, assemble ARFs and do repairs or if you're planning for a full blown workshop. If you're going for the latter, consider zoning areas for storage/charging, the most comfortable (natural light, easy access to the rest of the house etc) for the prime building area, a dust control area for cutting/sanding etc. and ... if you have room left, a spray booth. The last two should be the furthest apart for obvious reasons.

Then there's lifestyle decisions. I like loud music when I work ... very loud. In my current workshop, I spent a little money on sound insulation of the adjoining wall to the house. I also have a desk in the corner where the kids can do crafts or homework if they choose.

In my previous workshop (basement), since my kids were very young, I built a playroom next to the workshop and installed a plexiglass window between. This allowed us to share our playtime while keeping them safe from my tools.

Having had both, the garage workshop is superior. I can pop open the garage door when working with harsh chemicals, or simply on nice days when I want a fresh breeze and some sunlight. Also, I'm a little less accessible to the "Honey, can you help me ..." type interruptions.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

I have about 2/3 of the basement at our house.
Our bedroom is at the back side at one end of the basement and the laundry/furnace room is at the other.
My business takes up all the rest! Along with my home recording studio! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8
Thanks for all the info.

MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 0
Whats the big deal <G>

I got the basement

I got the kitchen Table

I got half the living room

and I still alive

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
RCC Contributor
I am: Ed P.

New Workshop!!!!!!

Hi Rcman, I had an improvement idea right off the bat that no one else has suggested! So I thought I better mention it. Put in wider doors to your shop area. I am sure you can get them stock, but if not , have them custom made. I'm sure they would be worth it.
PS Thanks for getting the second "Jets Over Leamington" going again. It will make our summer again! Especially if we have more sucess at this one!
no such thing as too fast!
rcjetguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
RCC Junior Contributor

Peter You really need to watch the dust, it will go up through heating ducts, under door cracks and through any seam it possibly can. I used to use our basement, it drove my wife nuts. I now have a 20' by 30 shop in my back yard for all my what evers. My wife tells her friends its the dog house and then she laughs cause she knows there is no punishment in ending me out there to work on my planes.
micman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.