The wife gave me the whole basement for my hobby room! - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
1) Walls surrounding workshop with solid ceiling (no dropped tiles)
2) Double-width doors with direct walk-out to driveway or garage (no steps)
3) Soundproofing
4) Dust extraction/control systems in its own sound-proofed room with outside venting)
5) Separate laundry room
6) Bathroom facilities (urinal too!)
7) Furnished recreation area with bar/fridge and hide-a-bed
Divorce insurance

Is it going to be 100% modelling or woodworking/storage as well?

It's amazing what you can do with about 150-200 square feet. If you're going dual-fucntion (i.e., woodworking and modelling), then double the floor space for the big power tools.

Ideally, you should be able to plane a 8-foot plank with feed-in and run-out on both ends of the machine. That's about a 20-foot straight run. 15-foot width makes it 300 square feet.

Should take you several years to fill that.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19 need ALL that room.... so when that turbine accidently starts up in yer hand again like in the old can at least grenade toss it 100 feet against the wall.......
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by ronnieo need ALL that room.... so when that turbine accidently starts up in yer hand again like in the old can at least grenade toss it 100 feet against the wall.......
Fire in the Hole!!!!
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #24
RCC Noob
I am: Thomas R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Re: The wife gave me the whole basement for my hobby room!

Originally Posted by RC_MAN
Ok I'm not used to having a lot of space for my models. I'm into jets, aerobatics and instructing.

We are alying out a new house and my wife said the basement is mine. Can you share with me some of your experiences of a hobby room in the basement.

I'm thinking of a grade entrance to the garage and a separate display/charging room.

I just did this two years ago.

Of course, insulate the basement walls and under the floor.
If the floor is concrete, install in floor heat. Mine is driven off a second water heater.

Paint the floor the color of a carrier deck if you are ex Navy. I'm on the USS Midway, CVA 41.

Install a dust collection system not less than 1-1/2 horsepower with six inch ducts. I used an Oneida Air System and my shop has no more dust than the rest of the house. The final filter is .2 microns, that is HEPA standard.

If you intend to sand, let me know an I will try and send you the few photos made of the sanding table unit I built, 15 x 44 " and it works great.

Buy a Makita Compound dual bevel sliding Mitre saw.

Don't install a floor will put nasty things into the dust collector and wreck it.

I spent two years planning my set up. It is great. Allow plenty of room for storage on the walls.

Enuf said, GoNavy
GoNavy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #25
Kelly W
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 5
Man, I'm jealous. My wife and I are expecting our 2nd kid in January. That means the sewing room turns into a baby room, and guess what my hobby room turns into, yeah...... a sewing room.......!

I'm gonna be banished out to the garage for good now!

Kelly Williams - 59082L
MAAC Jet Committee Chairman
JPO Member , 2L club member
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:27 AM   #26
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
See where Love gets us !!!

Next they will have us building on the driveway.

I'm actually not too bad off. I have most of the unfinished basement of our 70 year old home. The ceilings are 7 feet, i'm 6'4" so theres enough clearance there. The one real nice feature is theres an outside entrance so I don't have to go through the house. The wife doesn't like the basement stairs, she says there too steep. The only time she goes there is to do laundry, other than that its all mine.
dutchy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #27
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
... so do the laundry, two benefits, one: brownie points. Two, she ain't too likely to see what you bought or what you are building!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 AM   #28
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Get a bigger basement with this designed house.

[quote="RC_MAN"]The downside to this deal is that my wife gets the top two floors

Hey ! Build a bungalow and get the same size basement as the main floor.

My house is 1058sq ft. upstairs and downstairs.

I have the whole basement for my models. All 1058 sq. ft.

Another idea for you to think about is this. I put a gas stove in the rec room / building room last spring. It will be great this winter to take the chill off the basement area. It will save gas to by not having to crank up the furnace to warm the basement.

Also make sure that there is a door lined up with the stairs to make it easier to get those giant scale planes down into the basement.

Also make the stairs and doors larger than standard size. My cousin did that and his stairs are about 4 to 5 feet wide He wanted to make it easy to get his wood working machines down the stairs.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.