DVR? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: David S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm flying a t-rex SE v2 right now, but next spring I plan to add a raptor 50. I find aerial photo/video a rather neat part of flying an r/c heli and have been considering the possibilities for a rig. A friend in the city (Rob) who's been helping me get into helis posted a video link under the rotary wing section of a video he took with a small wireless spy cam rig on his rex. The video on it frequently broke up with horizontal lines and got jittery during piros, FFF, and so forth. I thought maybe one could take a great quality video by cutting out the wireless transmission part. At first I thought using the spy camera plugged into something that'd stream to a CF or SD card would be a great rig, but the only solid state recorder I've found that takes a small external camera is like $800 for the recorder alone. My digital camera can only record up to 60 seconds of video, but Robs can keep on streaming to the card until it's full. At first I thought could use the AP rig I've seen others use for a raptor and use a digital camera recording to video, or use a DVR. The DVR's I've seen are either shaped like a camcorder or vertically oriented book, so I'm not sure how well they'd work out mounting. Anybody here have any experience with taking digital videos? Thanks.
Cloven is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
If you are are recording directly onto memory (SD or CF) there will be no problems with vibration or breakup.

You could also use a better downlink that will not give breakup either.

I don't do any hard maneuvers and a mini DV camera does just fine. The tapes on these are on a tensioning system that will keep it on the drum and resist external vibration.

I would avoid DVD or hard drive camera's as they will not perform as well under flight conditions. The DVD will be prone to skipping as the focus system is sensitive to vibration. I would not put a hard drive under these conditions as it will probably lead to premature head failure.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.