Multi-servo wing - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
Multi-servo wing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I m building a wing that will have will have 4 servos and a air retract system . Two servos will be for the ailerons and two for the flaps and two air lines in each wing .

This is my question .

Do you leave every thing lose in the wing or do you tie it down : . The length of the wires on the servo is 11.5 inchs . the distance of the servo from where the the wire exits the wing ( which is the centre ) is 17 inchs . The flaps of course are inboard of the ailerons which is 5.5 inchs from the centre of the wing .

I have already perchased 24 inch extentions for the ailerons , which I plan to leave in the wing , and that makes for a lot of wire just sitting in the wing . Of course I will leave a length of wire in the centre so that I will attach it to the reciver in the fuselage Can I coil up the servo wire before I install the servo : And since I am leaveing the extention in the wing is it normal to hold down the wires and air lines inside the wing :

I cann t see leaveing this stuff lose in the wing , even though I will never see it , it will bug the hec out of me if I leave it lose . I have no idea what to do here . I have never built a wing with all this spaghetti ( hope I spelt that right ) . I m worried about coiling up the wires and how too attach it What is the good practice .

I m almost at the point of closeing the wing , some help, would greatly be appiciated

Michel ( Mike )
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
warbird alley
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Running the lines

Hi Mike

I have always used liners like a tube running from the entrance rib to the exit rib. The air lines I always just fasten down with a few blocks of balsa.
The liners I use are heat shrink tubing but I have heard of guys using drinking straws, make sure the connection points are fastened with tape I use the fiberglass tape its very strong and sticks well!

I hope this helps you out, if I can help anymore let me know!

warbird alley is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian R

a very light extension tube is a piece of paper wrapped around a dowel, not too many wraps, then tape the outside. slide off dowel, if you want ti stiffer to glue in you can wick thin ca on the inside. let cure, use these to route the wires. make sure you tape or tie your leads together.
Awww crap my rudder fell off.
green@3D is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

The last AC I did I used the slurpee plastic straws. They pass the connector with no problem and very lite. Like you I had a lot of loose cable left over and instead of coiling it I went and got a couple shorter. Still have the long ones for another project maybe but I worried also about the coils and the other part I looked at was the extra wire. Shorter the better for voltage drop or what ever they want to call it.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

I would avoid attaching it inside the wing. At either end, where it's accessable, sure, but not inside where it can't be gotten to. In the event you need to change an airline, or servo, or do any troubleshooting, you will curse every thing you can think of if you have to take out the knife and slice open the wing.

A tube of some sort is a good idea, it will eliminate chaffing on the wires and airlines.

I try to keep all my wiring etc nice and neat, but I keep it so that I can take it all out without taking a knife to the airframe or covering.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.