General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #31
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

Keep in mind that in ALL the emails this person had sent me he/she ONLY signed their emails with an initial and their last name.
If they had provided the first initial and last name in their e-mails to you, then that is how you should have addressed all correspondence back to them.

It seems so simple to do it this way, and how could one get offended when you address them by what they provided you with.

Then again, I am simple
phattires is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #32
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

I got the whole wing finished now.
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #33
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

I'm with Ed Smith on this one: common courtesy, PARTICULARLY on a business deal, is becoming less common all the time. If you are a Cool Dude, fine, just don't get me confused with the rest of the Cool Dudes you associate with, because I don't fit. I treat others with respect, and demand the same in return. Most of my transactions go well (ask anyone), but I really can't be bothered to respond to "Dude" or "Bud"; go talk to someone else.

Sure, it is an old-fashioned attitude, but it has served the business community well for many, many decades, even though they dropped the "Your Humble Servant" thing some time ago. :P

"Dude" indeed...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #34
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33
I'm 50+ and have dealt with the public in business environment all my life. If in doubt, I have always erred on the side of caution and the word Mr. and Sir were (and are) high on my list of titles for the people I deal with, especially if I have not met them. In short, courtesy and respect for the customer.

I think would have taken the 'Hey Bud' as being condescending and 'spoken down' to but I'm not convinced I would have cancelled the deal because of it.

reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #35
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Re: unbelievable

Originally Posted by mogman
I would have thought that if you want to do a deal with someone, then you should, at a minimum, give your first name so that you at least know with whom you are dealing. Common courtesy and all that. If you don't provide a name, then be prepared to be called whatever!!??
Cheers, Dave.
Exactly Dave.

I just terminated a deal last week with a guy on RCU who's name wasn't in his login and after 5 PM's never signed it once. Wanted to trade me his 2 month old 14MZ for an EF 50cc Yak 54 combo. Had no trader feedback and had only been on RCU for two weeks!

Finally gave first name when I pressed but the whole thing didn't feel right so I walked away.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #36
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Well, the general consensus seems that it wouldn't be offensive, but there are a few people would take it that way. HOWEVER.........

I'm led to believe that those few people who would find it offensive would ALSO sign their emails with their name, in which case NONE of this would have transpired in the first place.

Mr Smith, I would think that if you would be offended in a situation such as this, you would ALSO show the respect of signing your name to an email so that I in turn would know who I am dealing with.

Tlyttle, I would think after reading your post that you likely would sign your name as well as you mention that you would also treat others with respect.

Ron, you as well, anytime you and I have exchanged emails you always signed it with your name.

In this instance, the first insult came with this individual replying to my email where I stated that my price was firm, by saying "I want to make a reasonable offer". Nothing less than my price which I had already reinforced would have been reasonable. However, I decided to continue to converse with this individual. After multiple emails, I STILL did not know this persons name, and I made an assumption (which obviously was wrong in some cases) that a friendly greeting was better than no greeting at all. I'm no lawyer or doctor, not what one considers a "Professional" I suppose. I'm a painter, in this business people commonly refer to others as "bud", "bro", "dude", "buddy" etc.

Ironically, I had a doctor in my shop recently inquiring about having his motorcycle painted. During the conversation he made a comment about how he was a "Professional" and I was just a "tradesman". He didn't like the price I'd quoted and told me "that's the kind of money that a "professional career" deserves, not a "tradesman", but I like your work so when can I bring my bike in?" THIS I was offended by, I didn't take that job, I bit my lip but all I wanted to say was if you are a "Professional" then paint your damn bike yourself.

A friendly greeting to somebody you don't know the name of is IMO far less offensive than some of the "professional" business members I've met in the past. Ironically, I feel more ticked off when somebody refers to me as "sir" than I do if they call me "man", "bud" etc etc etc. Sir makes me feel old

Either way, I did initially apologize to the person for offending them, to which they sent a final rude email. So for me, the bottom line is, I am who I am, I don't care if everyone likes me, I don't care if most people like me, I don't comprimise myself, and I do treat people with respect, guess I slipped up there but ya know what? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it

Jeremy "dude"
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #37
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Of two minds here, Jeremy..

Being called "sir" is one of those terms that is SO dependent on context and attitude, it can be respectful or derogatory. It is these two things that I look for when someone calls me "sir", and further conversation is dependent on them as to whether it is going to go well or not.

And too bad that your tongue took the pounding about the "tradesman" crack, I certainly would have told him to paint his own #$$##@%#^ $#^&*$# bike as well as tell him that he 30 seconds to get his sorry @$$ of the property. Even doubling or tripling the price isn't enough satisfaction with a wittless egomaniac like that!! Gee, I guess diplomacy isn't my strong suit, is it?
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #38
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I once worked in a store and the attitude in the store was some what relaxed and easy going, after all we were not selling replacement valves for your heart or anything like that. Any how I was dealing with a customer and things were going quite well. I was explaining a particular item and the customer was quite impressed with how capable it was and asked me if it could do bla bla bla. I said "Dude this bla bla can do that and bla bla." You get the point, it was a moment where it just seemed to fit and certainly was not a greeting. The gentleman made a quick exit and later called the store owner to complain. I was floored that it went that far, I had no idea someone could be so sensitive. I can't imagine going through life and demanding such a high level of respect from every person you come into contact with. Can you imagine how upset this guy would get in the face of real, intentional disrespect. Some people need to simmer down, society seems to be a pressure cooker and the tempurature is going up every day.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #39
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Want to get a great reaction from someone just greet them with "Hey Boy". Watch the fire works fly.

Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #40
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Ted, I bet that customer of yours was a Professional. They are all the same.

Jeremy, I'm sorry your just a tradesperson. Man, I hope you have a couple planes ready for this week. I think you'll need em!

I had an electrical engineer arguing with me over my diagonosis of an electrical problem. The worst of it was, he was arguing with me as I was slicing my hands up getting a motor changed. I told him to do alot of things to himself.

A couple weeks later, he sent a letter thanking me for my patience, and my professionalism. That made it worth it even more. I even went back and provided him with the drawings to show the adjustments I made to the circuit in the system. I usually refuse to do that (I'm not an engineer )
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.