Hobbico Nexstar a good bet ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
Hobbico Nexstar a good bet ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a friend who wants to get into RC. He is starting from scratch. I was looking at recommending to him the Hobbico Nexstar RTF package that even includes the simulator.

It looks like a great package! Plane, quality radio and engine included, onboard flight stabilization included (PA unit), simulator included. This is great for someone starting from scratch. There is no substitute for assistance and instruction from a fellow modeller, however with this comprehensive setup all in one box - he wouldn't need much assistance at all.

My question is has anyone here tried the nexstar and what do you think of it? Is it a decent docile flyer?

I would othewise be recommending a setup based on the the SIG Kadet LT40,
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
Yes, good plane. Remove the wing slats and gyro stabilizer. Glue on the tail feathers.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Kevin
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

I am learning on a Nexstar and I love it. It is a great plane to learn on and is easy to use and fly. The quality is excellent and I have never had an issue with it. It is not the fanciest, but equal in quality to the more advanced stuff. I have never used the Auto Flight Stabilization feature because I did not want too much help and did not want to experience unrealistic flight situations and habits. I think that with some simulator experience - which makes learning orientation a breeze, flying this plane as is was the best and easiest way to learn. I will miss my Nexstar when I sell it after getting my wings. I would make the same decison again in a heartbeat....

Give me a shout if you want to hear more about it.

NewGuy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

From what I have heard it is a good plane. Problems there are is hard to repair because it is alot of Plastic construction. MY sugestion and the way I did it was put a little extra out and get a 6 channel radio good engine .46 size and a nice trainer plane. Think when I priced it out last time came out about 30-40 more then the nexstar and ended with a lot better stuff that will last me for while.

Hitec Optic 6 $200
Trainer plane ARF $100-$125
Engine $80-$110
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor

I started with the nextstar, the sim was helpful but got boring very quick all I really used it for was to practise take offs and landing which you can appreciate is the most help against gravity. I turned the gyro down but had a little on it to help with the landings. Have about twenty flights on it. Have also taken the wing stabilizers off. ( Not one crash)
After about thirty flights I moved to a mid wing sport and have been flying that and now I feel confident enough that I am moving to a larger bi-plane.
I also might add there is no club or instructors were I live so it was the best way for me to learn. If your a strong builder, handy man and have good friends to help Aceplant00's idea is a good one because you will get what you want, and saticfaction of producing your on plane.
Good luck and many fun hours of rc hobbing.
The worst day flying is better then the best day working!!
Mickey Adam
Powell River
micman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Claude, this is another of those airplanes that are good if you just want to fly. The radio and engine can be used in another airframe should the need arise. If your friend doesn't want to bother with building, then I'd not hesitate to recommend it.

I'm a fan of BIY planes, but I don't have a problem when I see these at the field. I have even helped assemble them (NIB) in the pits on occasion. It seems to happen alot at our field.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Clarke
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 4

i would recommend buying the plane, radio, and engine seperately. this is the way that i did it and i already appreciate my descision because when i got my second plane i needed to usmore than 4 channels and was glad that i went with the hitec optic 6 because for a little bit more $ initially it save me having to buy another radio for my second plane.
atc666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Flying freak
RCC Apprentice

can only pass on what instructors at my club are saying - flies like SH*T! some are refusing to even take pilots up these planes are of ok quality they are according to them VERY tail heavy so that needs to be compensated for (they dont like the specs as they find that the specs make it tooo tail heavy) Now as for that about gyro thing well its about as good as a broken prop it WILL help if your under ideal conditions but lets be honest most of the time we are not if you ever go over anything as much as a puddle the light reflecting makes it go nuts and well the gyro isn't so stable anymore same for snow or i have herd that aluminum roofs are not so good either (guess what lines up with the runway at our club) On the other hand people like the alpha 40 nice plane engine is good just have to change to a 10x6 prop i prefer JR also the coating is better on the Alpha the nexstar kind of needs a little ca to keep the coating on it (iron it down will not help much)

all in all i think your better with the alpha easier to repair better coating flies better and is less heavy
Flying freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Kevin
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Still Like it

I have read some of the opinions that have been posted - some love it and some may not. Chances are that those that don't think it's a good first plane have never flown one. I still love flying mine and it is still very reliable. I have never flown with the Gyro (AFS) and have never had even the slightest issue with the tail being heavy. My suggestion would be to disable the AFS and to fly without the speedbrakes and Spin flaps.
I found that this setup is the easiest to fly and most stable. This plane files well in calm conditions or in very windy ones as well.
Remember - this is a tranier - not a fully aerobatic flier... judge it on what it is designed to do. I would do it all over again.

Just MY opinion.
NewGuy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.