Epic Vortex video - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Great Video... I tried foamies and hated them, perhaps I need to give it another go.
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Terry T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14z
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Bob Hudson asks:

"Very interesting aileron control control system Terry. Can you elaborate please?

Excellent video.

Can't wait for the "production run" on the Epic

Thanks, Bob"

Hi Bob. Good to hear from you.

The aileron system is a pull/pull set up. I purchased a Tamia pulley set from Flite Craft in Kitchener and mounted them on the wing in line with both the sevo output arm and the aileron control horn. There is one pulley on the top of each wing and one on the bottom for a total of 4 pulleys. I then mounted the pulleys in the wing by first mounting one pulley onto one end of a hollow carbon fibre rod that is a press fit to the centre hole in the pulley. After cutting a whole of the same size as the carbon rod in the wing, I inserted the empty end of the carbon rod through the wing and then press fitted the other pulley on to that. Some glue was added to lock both pulleys and carbon fibre rod in place in the wing. The pulleys do not rotate. The Trylon fish line that I use for the cable slides frictionlessly on the nylon pulleys.
I then start by tying a knot in one end of a piece of 12lb test fishing line. I insert the fishing line through a small hole drilled in one end of the aileron control horn and pull it until the knot is against the control horn. I then hit the knot and control horn with thin CA. Add a little kicker and one end of the pull/pull system is secured to one end of the control horn. I then thread the fishing line around the top pulley and then through one eye in the servo control arm. I then pass the fishing line across the top of the servo control arm and out through the opposite eye. It is them threaded through the bottom pulley on the same side (wing) and then over to the other half of the aileron control horn. I thread the line through the control horn and take up the slack in the fishing line. I don't pull too tight. If you do you will start to warp the wing. However, you must take out all of the slack in the fishing line or the line may come off the pulleys during aileron movement. I bend the fishing line over to hold it in the bottom control horn and hit it with thin CA. This holds the line in place while I tie a knot in the line to stop it from travelling back through the control horn. When the knot is done, I hit it with CA as well. Note, at this time, I have not added CA to the servo control arm. This will allow me to adjust the centering of the aileron to the wing and servo. Now do the same routine to the other wing. Make sure both fishing lines are of equal tension. Turn on your radio and centre the servo. When both ailerons are aligned with the wing and the servo is centered, I put a dab of thin CA and kicker on the end of each servo control arm to lock the whole system in place. See pictures below.
wallah, you have a pull/pull system.
I also do this with the rudder and elevators.

I am producing a "building a light indoor plane" manual that I will make available on RC Canada. It is about 90% done. I took pictures of the building of one of my "Plug " indoor plane. It uses this same pull/pull system on all three surfaces. I believe it will be very helpful for anyone who wants to build a light plane. Look for it soon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b_188.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	20811   Click image for larger version

Name:	c_152.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	20812   Click image for larger version

Name:	d_899.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	20813  
Terry Tripp
MAAC #31863
terrytripp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Terry T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14z
# of RCs: 10

Another indoor flying video

Here is another one of my planes. It is called "The Plug" due to its shape. Chuck Snively is the videographer again. This was one of its first flights. I'm in the process of trimming it. The first half is me flying it with the trimming and mixing done to about 60%. After I land, I make some adjustment to bring the trimming and mixing up to about 90%. The second flight is much better than the first flight.
I am using only about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle most of the time. 3/4 throttle for verticles. Hoovering is done with 3 clicks below 1/2 throttle. Very agile.

Here are its specs:

Plane: The Plug
Wingspan: 31"
Wing Area: 288 square inches
Weight Flying: 168 grams (6.01 oz.)
Wing Loading: 3 oz per square foot
Motor: MP Jet AC 22-2/40D
Speed Control: Castle Creations Phoenix 10
Receiver: Berg Stamp 4L
Servos: 3 x Dymond D47
Battery: Kokam 350 Mah 2S1P

Terry Tripp
MAAC #31863
terrytripp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #14
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

Thanks for the explanation Terry.
Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jason R.

For those of you interested in other light weight indoor setups, check out this guy's modified Ikarus F3A Shockflyer. He's got an AUW of 116grams!

~Jason Rendel
super_nova is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.