Anyone using Kero start on Jecats? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Scott B

Total Props: 0
Anyone using Kero start on Jecats?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just wondering what the feedback is on the Jetcat Kero start? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this ability?

straightup is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8
Considering other three German manufacturers are jumping on the Kero start option I would say it must be good.
MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
Len does..he should chime in here any moment........
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
RCC Contributor

We have a couple of customers using it without any issues. Starts a little differently than with propane/powermax.

Ed Miedzybrocki
Great Northern Models
Your Canadian Jet Source for BVM, Festo, Fei Bao, Robart, JetCat, Jersey Modeler, Skymaster, Graupner Modelbau and more coming...!!!
rcav8tr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18mz
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 5
I've witnessed Len's Kero start Jet Cat many times and it's the coolest thing ever and flawless. Gee if I could only covert my Moores or maybe I should just be happy it still runs

Comp Arf Flash, Retro Reaction, Comp Arf Extra330, Aeroworks Extra300L, Goblin 770, Goblin 500, Align 550e, Align 500, Devil 380 and a Great Wife.
Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dale I

I have a Titan on Kero Start. Now, I just got the thing and don't have any other experiance to compare it to, but take this into consideration along with absolutely no problems starting it and I think you have your answer. I runs smooooooooth and was nothing to get going. The way of the future.

Hey Buddy, thats a Kadet not an Extra!!!
Dig it is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Donovan R

Morning All

I am using the Kero Start on my Power Cat Heli. Less plumbing. Works fine.

don dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Scott B

Thanks for the feedback folks.
straightup is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Len G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 3
Sorry guys been working 14 hr days...PC business pre Xmas ya know!

Anyway I use Kero start on my P-80 and P-120 (and Titan still NIB) both of which flew a total of 44 times this year combined. Not a lot by most standards but a huge number for me! The only time the K1 failed to start was when it got clogged with some dirt. I was disconnecting everything and capping it all with Festo stuff to prevent dirt accumulation...I kind of caused what I was trying to prevent. I removed the glow plug and shot some air back through it and it has worked ever since. I no longer remove the stuff and cap it, just use the GSU to advance the kerosene to the plug before the start. I dont even really have to do that since nothing happens in the start sequence until there is heat. If there is no heat after a LONG period of time then it stops the start sequence. That was on the P-120 and the P-80 has been truly flawless even with my meddling intervention! The Titan is destined for the WH in February...

Now with the latest TP Lipo extreme series we have vastly more current capability than required and I can reduce the battery weight from the Tanic 3650 Lipo pack to a TP 2200 and still have the current to fly 3 or 4 times before charging again. The BIG HEAVY 3650 Lipo was necessary to sustain the start sequence when everything is going all at once: pump, starter, glow (6 amps!) both solenoids, and the kero start solenoid (old gas unit) is pulsing and that too takes more current. Don't let anyone steer you away from Lipo for K1 Starting...just make sure you have the requisite 35 to 50 Amp continuous draw capability available. I have to admit that the P-80 ran on NiMH this year as I NEEDED the nose weight, but it will be on Lipo next season as I have adjusted locations to balance and reduce overall weight by 10 oz! Should prove illuminating!!! I may have to turn it up to 123K again!

The only difference you will note in Kero starting is that there is a 3.5 to 5 second preheat time depending upon the ambient temperature. After that it is exactly the same even though the GSU will show a PreHeat 2 phase. I guess it is really about 10 seconds longer, but VASTLY cooler and easier starting. Also during the preheat 1 phase the starter engages just to let you know something is going on if for exampke you do not have the GSU attached. I forgot mine one day and other than being able to record the pertinent after run data (Max RPM Temp and pump voltage) there was no ill effect! It felt wierd not being able to see what was happening but once the green LED was solid, I was good to go...

The jury is still out on the longevity of Kero start glow plug elements, and indeed the unit has been beefed up some aS I understand it. Apparently they are only good for about 150 flights I am told, but that is easily a few years for me and I am not concerned about it. I carry a couple of spares on hand of everything I use so it is a non issue. Yes they are expoensive as compared to a glow plug and propane, but the reduced complexity on board is a big plus as is never having to remember the starting gas and running out of it and filling it etc etc etc.

I will never go back to gas starting unless was forced to do so. In fact it is a MAJOR purchase consideration for me to have K1 Start ability. My sense of the thing is that most turbines will start this way by 2010. The only positive in favour of Gas starting is that it is less expensive. However; once you factor in the cost of the gas and failed starts and plugs, I doubt there is as large a difference as is perceived in today's marketplace.

Anyway I LOVE IT!!!!

Len is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 10
Good post Len. I agree....Kstart and turbine efficiency are the big ones being worked on at present.

Helijet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.