MAAC insurance/membership - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Johns my hero!
Less is More, More or Less
sabre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Well flying glow motors in a city is a little on the crazy side unless your looking for attention.

I have hear that some city's have banded park flyers as well.

The only reason I even Have MAAC coverage myself is so that I can belong to my club and go to the occasional fun fly.

Of course I don't fly on the dangerouse side and am in controle at all times. GOING TO BE GOING XPS SOON and will be not worried about glitches or lock outs.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike P

Well, you don't need MAAC coverage to fly. However, having it is like having house insurance. Even if you never need it, it's still there just in case. And as above, you need MAAC to fly at a sanctioned club. Most of MAAC's rules are plain common sense.

@ Wene
Banning park flyers? Now there's something insane. Totally clean and quiet. What could be wrong with that? I guess some idiot complained, and you know in the civil service, one person complaining about a trivial issue is really equal to one billion people.

I just go to my club's field to fly so I don't know what the local by-laws are. I'd say just always fly at a MAAC sanctioned field to be 100% on the safe side.
Currently driving: HPI Savage X SS 4.6 / Traxxas Mini E-Revo
Find me a the Milton Fair Grounds any sunny weekend.
orenda635 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #14

Re: MAAC insurance/membership

Originally Posted by Tom Molloy
There seems to be different interpretations as to the extent of MAAC insurance.
Can anyone tell me if I have any Insurance cover while flying at my home (I have enough space), and if so, to what extent?

Find out if the bylaws in your area allow you to fly the models you have. Then do like Mr Kovats has advised, find out from the insurance chairman just what is required for you to be covered.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #15
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Originally Posted by orenda635
Oakville Ontario has a hobby engine ban within city limits. Electrics are allowed at most parks at any time of day. Though you have to watch not to upset the neighbours (my field is next to a golf course. Yikes!), or they'll pull the plug on your fun.
Then how can they fly at the South Field?

The North Field, beside the Golf Course, is within the Milton City Limits so Oakville ruelings would not apply.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #16
Tom Molloy
RCC Apprentice

Thanks guys for your input . I suspect I need to check with MAAC to be absolutely sure. The reason I asked, is that our field compliance with MAAC specifications was questioned recently and it 'struck' me that paying insurance and possibly not being covered either at my home or at the club flying field seem somewhat redundant!

I guess I'll have to check with MAAC.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Tom Molloy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #17
RCC Apprentice

MAAC Insurance's Isopropyl alcohol...

there...I think I've really thrown everyone for a loop now... only need insurance if you can't afford to take the risk...
John Jordan
New Hamburg RC Club
"Keep your nose up!"
jjordan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #18

WRT park flyers.

I'd discussed the matter with the by-law enforcement people in my area (Newmarket and Aurora). Newmarket is outright ban on anything RC or CL in their parks. Aurora has nothing directly related but they do require permits for anything going on in the parks.

Both town's officers did say that the reason is not noise per se, but actually the potential for litigation (lawsuits resulting from injuries).

Not having permission and MAAC insurance coverage won't affect the local yokels -- they'll fly regardless, but one incident will. It'll also have every surrounding municipality talking thenselves, too!

If you don't belive me, check with the older club members in the GTA about when the Cold Creek Conservation Area pattern meet got shut down due to noise complaints -- every club in the GTA got calls from their local parks people asking questions on noise and how everyone was flying.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #19
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 11
Originally Posted by wene
Maac sanctioned events must be at a regulation and approved site
Not true. One reason to sanction events is to get the thrid party liability coverage in place for a non-registered location. The best and most common example is sanctioning a swap meet or mall show. In the event of someone being injured (even by a static display) the venue could face litigation for letting you be there.
Similarly, when we held the F3J worlds, the specific location was not a regular flying site (although it bordered one) and the sanction extended coverage to the land-owner.
Keith Morison
MAAC 24909L
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #20
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
And Nats have often been held at full size airports with the agreement of the airport managers facilitated by coverage by the MAAC liability policy.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.