A very positive RCC purchase and great feeling in the hobby! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
A very positive RCC purchase and great feeling in the hobby!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, recently there have been a few threads about deals gone bad, fallen through, sellers who have ripped people off etc etc etc.
I thought I would write about the recent transaction I had on RCC.

On Saturday I happened to come across this ad in the marketplace:

I have a soft spot for the Waco Taperwing and as soon as I saw that this was a large model and within easy driving distance I was VERY interested. I immediately fired off a PM to Nigel (the seller) and he called me back within minutes. I wasn't home when he called so as soon as I walked in the door I called him back. I quickly jumped in the truck and headed out to Chilliwack to see the airplane.

I got to Nigels home and he invited me in. His workshop was what I remember modeller workshops being when my dad first started me in building model airplanes. Boxes of BALSA WOOD! Scratch built models!!!! Fabric covering!!!! WOW!! I haven't seen this in a workshop in many years! Usually it's filled with ARF's, the same Edge you see at the field every time, but not here. This was a BUILDERS workshop.

The reason I mention this is I was admittedly hesitant about purchasing a scratch built model that was already covered from somebody I didn't know. Looking at his latest project I was blown away. I saw a level of craftsmanship I have not seen in this hobby in a long time. Balsa planking that actually fit! No gaps that need filling, no lumps and bumps where they shouldn't be, just a high quality build.

Well, after mopping up my current puddle of drool Nigel proceeded to show me the Waco. He went over the model thoroughly with me and answered all my questions. I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted this aircraft and honestly, for the first time in my life, I didn't feel the desire to dicker on the price. I knew that there were others who were just as interested in the airplane, fortunately I had been first to come look at it. I didn't have any cash, so Nigel and I shook hands on the deal.

Now please understand, I've had handshake deals go south before, so nothing would have been unexpected but I had absolutely no reason to doubt that Nigel would hold the airplane for me.

We made plans to have him deliver the model to my shop in Abbotsford since he works in Abbotsford anyway and this would give him a couple days to get everything together.

So this evening, Nigel arrived at my shop as promised with the Waco. He then spent the next 2 and a half hours putting the airplane together with me, answering all my questions again, explaining how he did certain things on the model etc. The more we looked at the model as it went together the more impressed I was with his build quality. The parts fit is perfect, the fairings flawless, I can honestly say that I was blown away and that is a feat for me in this hobby.

To be perfectly honest, this aircraft should have brought far more than his asking price, had it been anymore I would not have been able to afford it, though I certainly would have wished I could! But thankfully it was what it was and I now have an extremely beautiful model to finish and fly.

If you ever see an airplane being sold by Nigel (monocoupe) and you are interested but are hesitant to commit to anything without seeing it in person, don't be! You stand a greater risk of missing out on a phenominal airplane than you would of being dissappointed in what you receive!

His work is meticulous, and it is beautiful. I cannot wait until I have the time to give this model the attention it deserves and finish it!
Here are some pictures from putting it together this evening.

Thank you again Nigel, I could not be happier!

Bottom of the model putting the lower wing on, look at the fit of the bellypan to the wing, no filler there!

First part of the landing gear assembly, the fiberglass work here is beautiful, everything fits like a glove!

Addition of the fully functional landing gear struts

Tail section showing hardwood dowels set into the balsa structure for all 26 of the screws to hold the tail fairing on, all in the scale location!

The near perfect fit of the lower wing into the wing saddle, with the large fiberglass fairings that cover this I can't believe the time he spent to make sure it fits correctly here!

The stab mount system, the incidence of the stab is even adjustable! Look at the machined stab clamps on the joiner wire!

The fiberglass tail fairing, another perfect fit!

Fiberglass wing fairing, fits dead on all the way around the wing AND fuse!

Very scale flying wire fittings! I actually called Nigel insane at this point! The fittings swivel and the threaded portion (2-56) is actually slotted and silver soldered onto the flat wire!

The strut fairings and flying wire rigging!

Flying wires again

Tail bracing, even the forward tail brace wires have adjustable incidence in case you need to move the stab!

The scale tail wheel

Inside of the wheel pant and fairing, another dead nuts fit!

The model mostly assembled!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

You forgot to mention the most important thing in your picture captions.... those pinned hinges! Nobody does that any more and they should.

Man I wished I lived out that way and had scooped it. Looks great.

So any thoughts on a colour scheme yet?
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
That is a work of art. Thanks for sharing your experience Jeremy. There are guy's out there that wouldn't even begin to appreciate the things that have gone into a model of that quality. I'm one of them. I can see what your talking about though, and being that you have so enthusastically pointed out the little details (I'm sure there are many more you didn't) I may just have learned something from this sale.

So thanks goes to Nigel as well, for selling it to someone who cares enough to tell everyone!
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Kudos to you both; Nigel for the meticulous craftsmanship and to you Jeremy for sharing. Certainly gives those of us mere "airplane assemblers" (I'm one ) something to strive for.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Originally Posted by scaleguy

You forgot to mention the most important thing in your picture captions.... those pinned hinges! Nobody does that any more and they should.

Man I wished I lived out that way and had scooped it. Looks great.

So any thoughts on a colour scheme yet?
You are very correct, and the pinned hinges was something else I noticed too. Just one more of those little details that most modellers seem to overlook. It's like the tiny hardwood dowels inset into the balsa for the screw threads so they don't strip, the main landing gear mount is pinned through the firewall, the hinges are inset into the LE and TE so that there is no flex, the hinges are done with a single long remove-able hinge pin so the surfaces can be painted seperately and if one gets damaged it can be removed to be fixed.
Even the small details like, Nigel installed an antenna tube in the fuselage during the build, the elevator pushrod is built in, oh, and not to mention that the bellcrank arm for the elevator is counterbalanced so that the servo doesn't feel the load of the elevator weight at neutral! The pull pull system for the rudder is already installed during the build while it's easy to access.

As for color schemes, I have found the owner of this aircraft, he lives in Allen Texas, I'm hoping he will return my phone calls and be able to send me some good photo's of his airplane as I love this scheme!

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: dave a

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. No doubt build quality like this is something for us all to strive for. Merry Christmas to all,

rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
RCC Contributor

Jeremy, thanks for sharing. Congrats on an excellent purchase.

As you probably know, Nigel is a very well respected and well known scale builder. He's an impressvie combination of artist, craftsman, and gentleman.

MAAC# 19744
AMA # 777559
waynek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Nigel T

Total Props: 3

O.K, O.K, if you're really not happy, I'll give you your money back!

Jeez Jeremy, I don't know what to say but.....
Thanks you for all the kind words! I'm very glad that the Waco went to such an enthusiastic and appreciative person!
After seeing your painting skills, I'm convinced that the model will be finished in a way that it deserves.

This was a very pleasant transaction for me as well.

Cheers, Nigel
MAAC 6949

My ex-wife hates airplanes!
monocoupe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

If you're interested in seeing Nigel work his magic and do things with balsa, aluminum and steel that'll make you go

Take a look here:

And here:

I too have received some of Nigel's craftsmanship (I bought the framed up wing of my BT Typhoon from him) unfortunately, it's no longer in the land of the flying models (not by fault of Nigel's work)

One day, I hope to grow and be an awesome builder like him too!!

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
Wonderful workmanship!!......but has the cub been fixed yet??

There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.