RIM Park indoor report #2 - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Terry T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14z
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thank you Kevin for the kind words.
I have been running this event for three years now. The first two years, I had the help of one of Canada's most notable pilots: Ivan Kristensen.
The story goes like this.
Three years ago, Ivan and I had a need to get indoors with our planes. We tried an aircraft hanger, a small church gym and a few other inadequate sites. None proved workable. We stumbled on RIM park almost by accident. I was at RIM park with my son helping him to learn how to use his "wheelies" which he just got for his birthday. As I walked past the Field house, I noticed that the lights were out and the doors locked. I couldn't believe all that space was just sitting there empty and unused. I called Ivan and told him about my find. We then contacted the management of RIM park and put in place a series of meetings which ultimately lead to the use of the soccer fields for indoor flying. In the beginning, most of the pilots that showed up were friends of Ivan. He has the amazing ability to attract pilots to events in and around the Guelph, Kitchener Waterloo area of Ontario. Later, the event just sold itself. The need for indoor flying spaces is growing faster every year.
This year I have been running the events solo because lucky Ivan and his wife are spending their winter in the sunny south. I'm so jealous.
The first session was a bit of a learning curve. We found that some people flew constantly from the time they arrived until the time the event was over. Others who were less confident in their flying abilities waited patiently for a break in the flying to get their chance. Often, that never occurred. All paid the same price but only a few got a chance to fly. If we wanted the indoor flying to grow and attract more new pilots, this would have to change. The next session, we imposed a time slot style of flying. We would allow only 3 planes in the sky at a time for a 6 minute time period. Bod Hudson, an imaginative engineer and a well respected RC Canada member, built us a frequency board with a built in bell system. The board is equipped with a door bell switch to activate the bell. Someone would monitor the time and ring the bell at the 6 minute intervals. The pilots in the air would land immediately and the next group would take off. The system worked well as long as we imposed another rule. You could only put your name down on the waiting list one at a time. After each flight you could put your name back on the waiting list for your next flight only. You could not put your name down for multiple flights in a row. This ensured that no one "hogged" the air space.
We have done this for every session since with great success.
We average about 15 pilots per 3 hour session. The cost is $10 a head. The event is also sponsored by Flite Craft Model Company of kitchener with a monetary injection to take some of the financial burden off my credit card. Early in the season, we don't get enough pilots to cover the rental costs. The same occurs at the end of the season. Mid season we have a surplus to cover the deficit in the begging and at the end of the season. We always seam to break even at the end of the year, thankfully.

I'm in contact with the management of RIM park at this time, organizing the next few flying dates for 2007. I will be publishing them soon.

Terry Tripp
Terry Tripp
MAAC #31863
terrytripp is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

Here is my old/ new foamy. Nothing special. Just some slight variations to a great laser kit. It came out a 6.4 oz The colour scheme was assisted by my cousins, 3 year old daughter. She picked the colours

The flight charateristics are the best I have ever flown. I don't know why I didn't have a light plane like this when I started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planes_003_179.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	21497  
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Re: RIM Park indoor report #2

Is there no more indoor flying in RIM Park? If so, anyone know the schedule?
hmab is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.