Arf or Not? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Ken W
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ken W

Total Props: 0
Arf or Not?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just wondering what you guys thought about ARF"S.Thinking about building a plane and can't make up my mind about ARF"S. They have come a long way and You would have a hard time building a kit for the price of an Arf.
eg. Dalton Extra or Carden Extra approx 1200$ plus covering,paint,ext!
Will probably run you about 2000$ for airframe.

Wildhare Extra 41% 1250-1550 depending on which one you choose.
for airframe.
This is approx but you get my point.I really like building but those hundreds of hours building could be spent with the family, book or even on the computer.
The quality is becoming so good it really doesn't make much sense to build your own plane from a kit anymore?
Ken W is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Stephen J
Radio of choice:

ARF or not

That's the delema I went through a few years ago and I decided that ARF's better suited my lifestyle. Quality is hit and miss but as long as you buy name brand ARF's, my experience is that the manufacturer / distributor will support their products. From a cost perspective, ARFs represent much better value. 8 out of my last 10 airplane purchases have been ARFs.
At some point in the future, when I have more spare time, I'm sure I'll build another kit (if they're available).
Stephen Johnston
MAAC 12138
sarawnty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
Hi Ken
I got my wings on an ARF , While I was building my LT-40 , infact I had to build it twice . I like flying , but I love building , and when you put the two to-gether WoW Oh WoW . I like to believed that I am a creative person . After building kits I want to modify the kits and after that I want to build my own kits and after that something youve never seen , maybe . Its just inportant that we all have fun

Somepeople don t have the time to build , but there great flyers and thats OK , I don t think that it has anything to do with money . To-day it s just part of the hobby 20yrs ago we didn t have to internet , would I of loved it then . Its much better now . Its all about what a person wants to do , don t you think ?

Have a Happy New Year

Michel ( Mike )
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
Personally for larger planes like you were talking about I think it would be very hard to beat the value in ARF's. You can't build one for that price. Definately go with a name brand arf, and do lots of looking because there are ALOT of different options.

I think it also depends on the person, I mean if you like building then go for it. I myself can't see me ever building a plane. I don't have the patience to do it, however I do like finishing the assembly on arfs.

My $0.02

Happy New Years!!
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

I agree guys,

I luv to build but, it makes no sense to build a giant aerobatic plane anymore.

I spent well over a year building my last 35% Carden, don't know how many hours were put into it. Lot's of $ too. If it get's whacked, I'll run out and buy a big ARF and have it flying in 3 days

The finish on ARF's is still not what I consider high quality but, the trade off is months or years building a pro level ship with perfect finish vs spending your time flying the thing. If you can live with a few rough spots under the covering, couple of messy glue joints, the arf is the way to go. And they are improving all the time.

luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor

arf vs building

Everyone has given you exellent advice not much that I can add.
I love to build and I love to fly. I have planes to fly while I build. I will admit at one time I turned my nose to Arf's but look at them now. WOW!! If that's what fits your life style then the more power to you.
The worst day flying is better then the best day working!!
Mickey Adam
Powell River
micman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17
To arf or not to arf, that is the question ...

The good thing about it Ken, we now have a choice, and quality isn't compromised.
I suppose if I was loaded, I'd buy one of those Krill jobs and hire a master builder to do it for me. Sigh ...
Do your homework and find the plane that meets your criteria.
Have fun. ( I like that Wild Hare Extra!)

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
Ya if i had the money I would buy that Krill 39% too. What an awesome plane. Saw Glezellis fly it at the 06 Nall. It was amazing. I'm sure the man at the sticks probably made a differenc too though, lol.
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:46 PM   #9
Mitch Cronin
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mitch Cronin
# of RCs: 7?

If you're "thinking about building a plane", then how does an ARF even enter the equation?????
That's not building a plane at all... building is building... assembling something someone else built is an ARF.
Mitch Cronin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Ken asked a question and throughout your comments you pretty much answered it yourself.

I purchased an 85" Aeroworks Extra 260 ARF and the quality of this plane just blew me away. If this ARF was any more complete they would have to change the designation to RTF. Everything was preassembled at the factory, I mean everything.....Cowel, canopy, wings, tail group...all predrilled so that all I have to do is assemble measuring and guessing where to mount the cowl, Its been pre done to exactly match my DA50 engine. They even provide standoff extentions to perfectly mount the engine to the face of the cowel.

And I have never purchased a plane before this one that comes with large pieces of covering material, every colour used on the plane as this one does.

There is absolutely NO WAY I could have purchased a kit, bought all the supporting materials and parts, and build it this reasonably priced with such a minimal amount of time spent!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love building whether scratch or from a kit, but how the heck do you justify spending so much more money and the dozens of hours of time building when an ARF with such quality can be up and flying in just a few short days? (actually, hours these days )!

I still have a couple of projects that I will be building from scratch, but there are no kits or ARF's for these planes.

My only peeve with ARF's - very little selection as to colour scheme! I would like to see more quality ARC's available.

So.....your choice my friend....choose well and most importantly..enjoy!!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.