Recovering gentle lady glider - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Recovering gentle lady glider

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I recently acquired a gentle lady glider and decided to recover the fuselage as the covering was not in very good shape and starting to peel off. Once I had removed the covering there was quite a bit of color left especially on the nose and tail and I found that the fin on the tail had been previously broken and repaired but now all but fell off!

So now I'm not sure if I should just buy a kit and build a new fuselage and tail section or attempt a repair. It looks like carl goldberg sells a tail section kit so I would of course prefer to rebuild the original fuselage. While the tail repair looks straight forward enough, the amount of glue from when the fin was either installed or repaired looks like it may also pose some problems with a repair. I've also found that the color is hard to remove and I have reservations about applying new covering over the remaining color as it may affect the finish and or the longevity of the new covering although propworn suggested reducing the stain of the previous covering buy wiping with Monokote Solvent .

I just don't have enough prior experience either building or repairing an airframe and don't know the best route to take right now?

I'm a schizophrenic :<, and I'm a schizophrenic too:>!
Merciful is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Repairing is always preferable to rebuilding or replacement, particularly for someone new to the hobby. Careful inspection before recovering will give you a durable, reliable model with little work.

I don't think I would sweat the recovering, either. If you use opaque colours, it will hide everything just fine; besides, who will see the flaws when it is 50' up?

Get some time in on the GL, it is one of the best around, and will give you a great grounding for your next, more advanced saiplane.
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.