RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
which engine?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK, here's the quest. just got my Extreme Flight 74in. Yak yesterday via fedx. I have several engines in mind, but just out of curiosity I'd like to know which one you guys would chose. no gassers, just glow. These are a few I am considering, OS160fx, Saito180, Super Tiger3250, Super Tiger2300. The one I would really like is the YS160 but at $700 it's just totally out of line. What do you guys think? If there's something totally different you're thinking of lets here about it. Ain't this fun. ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

if ya gonna fly big glow and fuel is expensive my choice would be an engine that will give good performance on home brew zero nitro. if its a couple days a summer thats another story . the moki gives good performance on zero its claimed so will an mvvs 160
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
OS 160FX is my choice. Had one in an H9 Cap 232, 73", and it was hot!

Saitos use too much fuel and I thing the STs are too heavy.

When did EF start shipping these 74" Yaks?

ihad the 68" and I am just finishing up one of their 87" - 50cc Yaks.

I thought EF was out of the Yak business for a while.

You will like it, the 68" flew like a bigger plane.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Ken E
RCC Contributor

which engine

The OS 160 is a choice but I think I'm leaning towards the Saito180 (to heck with the fuel consumtion) Extreme Flight just got another sipment of Yaks in, I unpacked mine today and I must say this is the best looking ARF I have seen. The fit and finish is just marvelous. I'm working on an electric now(E-flite mini Pulse XT) and I'm waiting for parts from GH, so the Yak will have to wait for a while, maybe spring, donno, got too many things on the go right now. ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Paul PB

Gas !

Sorry , I'm a gasser since 2 years and no more glow engines for me for many reasons (glow plugs, starter,glow ignitor etc...) There is good medium size motors now on the market at good prices ( fujis EI , Zenoah). You just mix 1 gallon and fly hours for couple of box !! Amazing difference, and gas motor has good tork too. Make your choise and have fun friend. Paul B.
So hard to make 3D but I love it !
sylo26 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
I had a Saito 1.80 in a H9 Cap 232 (73") and I was getting about 10 to 12 flights to a gallon. I don't consider that to be bad. I'm not talking full throttle flying either! The plane was heavy for it's size being an older ARF and was not much of a 3D ship, but I'm sure you won't have that problem with your plane.

My uncle flies the O.S. 1.60 in his Wildhare Edge and he has great performance and reliability. For the price, performance and reliability, I would take a second look at the 1.60. When dealing with that size of engine, even the 2 strokes sound awesome and he consistently starts his with a chicken stick and hasn't had one deadstick to date.

Just my opinion...
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.