Alarming News for all kit builders !!! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It has been many years since I've seen Ambroid, but I don't really miss it since I went to Carpenter's glue. I guess I'm not in a big hurry any more...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
Applehoney and Tlyttle.

I know both of you guy's are old school. I mean this in the most respectful way.

How many airplane kits (I mean kit's of cut wood, not the ARF's) even mention Ambroid, or Carpenters glue for that matter. All you see in the instructions is CA and 5 or 30 minute epoxy.

How long as CA been around, and how well was it received? I'm not meaning to take the thread off track, I'm just looking at the tides of change sort of angle.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14
>How long as CA been around, and how well was it received?

As far as I can recall CA came into use around the Vietnam war era as a quick way to close wounds or surgical incisions. In modelling, Bill and Bob Hunter popularised it with their 'Hot Stuff' which, I think, was initially a faster-setting, stronger product than present day CAs.

The stuff is now used pretty much universally but it has its faults ... many are allergic to it, supposed to be deleterious to the lungs, possibly neural problems, releases cyanide if heated .. all of which is emphatically denied by those who manufacture and/or market it but I've seen, in the past, some interesting technical reports on the Web which urge caution.

I soon quit using it years ago - one whiff and I had an intense sneezing, running 'cold' for a week thereafter... won't have it in the house since. It's also a quite heavy adhesive and joints can be brittle; for me all the drawbacks outweigh any small speed advantage but that's just a personal and physiological thing.
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:08 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I remember in the 60's asking for "Hot Stuff" for Christmas.....I got a hot glue gun, and pretended it was what I wanted, because I didn't want to hurt my parents feelings.
Shortly after, I got some CA, and have never looked back....but always used adequete ventilation!!!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

I could not find any coverall this past week. I tried 4 or 5 different places, and they were all out. I was alarmed by that. It appears that someone else is also using it. Coincidentally, I had a tough time finding precut CA hinges. Dope as well. I had to order it in.

I imagine there was a time when every self respecting hobby shop had Coverall, silkspan, tissue, a full stock of dope (no Monokote), cases of ambroid (not the shelves of CA like today), and all the control line stuff you could need.

Did the hobby shops carry tubes to build your own radios back then? Or were they in a kit of some sort? All I ever see now are the ARF radios. I find it very ironic that I had to use the internet to find this info . These are out of production as well. Kraft is too.

While we're talking about alarming news. My knife rolled off my table the other day, I jumped back in alarm. Thankfully it didn't hit my foot.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave D

Total Props: 1
The kit market has to preyyt tough these days. Every hobbyshop I have been in has a few kits in the corner under lots of dust. Kits will be gone very soon. Even ARF's are starting to be replaced by RTF models(I guess no one wants to glue the wing together and mount some servos). When I got back in the hobby the ARF's I remember were the old 10 pound lanier foam covered in plasic type. After I saw what was out there I was amazed and tosed out the old tube of Ambroid. No more kits for me. If I want to be different I buy an ARF remove the covering and be creative.
adaptabl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Clarence C
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C
# of RCs: 25

Kit market

We found out why kits are getting scarce. This is what we've done to help solve the problem, at least locally.
fliers1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.