New To Electric Planes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #1

Total Props: 0
New To Electric Planes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello All
I am very new to Electric RC's and have a few concerns. I first purchased a Thunder Tiger Super Cub EP. I attempted many times to get off the ground and each time ended in a crash and repair. I decided to go to something bigger and decided on the Thunder Tiger OBL40 Electric and was wondering if anyone had any experience on this plane and what is thier feedback whether good or bad.

I have not attempted to fly this one and won't until I get more experience or training. Being in Nova Scotia this is limited.

burmese is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Hi Chris doesn't matter if its electric glow or gas if you don't have experience it will CRASH why it could even happen with experience.I have lived where there has been no time or to far for someone to teach you (but try and find someone first) So my second suggestion is a flight simulator. The other problem I see is the cub in certain sizes are an excellent flyer for experienced pilot/ If electric it is try and find something with a flat bottom wing with lots of dihedral.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
double post
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Lone Wolf?

Pardon what may be a dumb question, but are you trying to learn on your own?

If so, loop on over to the MAAC website ( and check out the Atlantic Zone and find a club in your area. Drop by their field or their next club meeting and introduce yourself.

Most clubs that I know of do welcome electric flyers but you may get a disdainful expression from some of the older members.

Join and go through their insturction program, even if you have to fly a "slimer" (the alcohol/oil fuel mixture tends to lay down a layer of oil on the airplane).

Once you've got your wings, start flying electrics.

If you hav access to indoor flying, you'll probably move along faster (and possibly pick up some bad habits that aren't used by the outdoor set.)

Keep in touch and let us know how things go.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter C
Radio of choice:
JR 9503H
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 2
Hi Chris, myself I started with a GWS tiger moth (3 channel) and a GWS E-Starter (4 channel). If its fairly calm they are easy (for me anyway) and fun to fly, and if you do crash all it takes is some tape and glue and your off and flying again. Thats my 2 cents...
RC is more addictive than Nicotine...........

.............Haven't had nicotine it 9 months but still flying

MAAC #83325
petes66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Dan J.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Yes, depending on where you live Chris, I would look for a local club. ASRCM, HRCC are two local clubs in and around Halifax. MAST is in Truro, and the list goes on. Head to and look up clubs in the Atlantic Zone as byrocat has suggested. If they have a website, they will probably have their meeting dates posted for the winter session.

Oh great are the days when my takeoffs equal my landings!!!
MAAC #68159
Sparhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.