ARF'S - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guy's. I'm getting back into the hobby after several years (9) away. I was shocked when I went into the local hobby shops. There was hardley any kits, everything was an ARF. Does nobody build anymore? I mean don't get me wrong flying is fun but buiding is equally rewarding. At least when you crash you have some idea how to rebuild the aircraft.
Thanks for letting me rant.
Roddy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor

Welcome back

Roddy welcome back to the sport. I felt the same way when I started back but with the help of the members here things went well. If you want to build talk to your LHS and explain what kit you want and see if they will order it for you (how long to get in) great hobbies on the internet has a fairly good selection of kits( canadian company) and there are US companies that ship to canada.
Good luck and let us know what your going to build.
The worst day flying is better then the best day working!!
Mickey Adam
Powell River
micman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Good Day Roddy;

Yes, ARFs seems to be the current trend- too many people with money but no time.

My LHS has told me of disgruntled builders that have travelled 1-2 hours to visit him for a kit - builders are a determined lot!

If you are planning to travel the 401 in the future, drop me a line and I can give you directions to a shop that still stocks "KITS".

Happy Landings!
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
Hi Roddy
You can bet youre butt , there are a whole lot of us out there that build , mostly there hybernating in there work shop . It s that time of year

Michel ( Mike )
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
There are still kits out have to search for them though.. Unionville, Balsa USA, Sig, Goldberg, Herr, Great Planes, Adrian Page, Brodak. and Estes/Sterling still make kits
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

And then there are the laser cutters. Almost any plan you can dream of is now cut by someone.

I think the ARF's have only helped the hobby. Otherwise, all these wonderful lazy people with money would never have gotten into the hobby

I truly feel the diversity of the clubs has only been enhanced with the introduction of quality ARF's. And alot of them are very well built. Vmar is still around, and their ARF's are still junk, from everything I've heard, but as far as I can recall, they were one of the first widely seen ARF's 10 years ago.

Sig, Great Planes, and Goldberg (the 'big three" in my mind) all have various ARF's available now. They also have their kits as well, but some of the stadard kit's are discontinued. If you really want a discontinued kit, it can probably be had from one of the many modellers out there, all accessible through forums such as this!
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray M

My sentiments.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s_101.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	22038  
Ray McDougall, Victoria
See my models at:
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mike Trevors
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

HI Robby, I am also returning after quite some time, unfortunally my trainer suffered a fatal glitch and never did get my wings 12 or so years ago because my career reqired me to work out of town soon after.I love building but when you work away from home kind of tuff. Arf's have their place for people like myself. If quality arf's were not available I probly could'nt have returned or I would be spending my time off from work building instead of flying.Once I have a few arf's and some time as a pilot I will build from a kit, hopefully before I retire. There are still kits out there, just requires a little more research to find what you want. Have fun on your return to flying. I also would like to hear what you decide to build.
cafbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:35 AM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Canhos wrote: ....I think the ARF's have only helped the hobby. Otherwise, all these wonderful lazy people with money would never have gotten into the hobby.....

I know you said that 'tonge in cheek' and NOT in any darogatory way but to express a point which is actually in favour of ARFs. BUT many people DO look down on ARFs for all the wrong reasons and say things like that and mean it! I just don't want people to take your statement the wrong way!

I'm not sure why, but a lot of people do feel that, either a person is too lazy to build and/or they have more money than the next hobbiest if they purchase ARF's and thats why they are able to get into the hobby.

I dare say, such statements are inaccurate to the folks who have the ability to honestly do the math and can understand and relate to the person to whom money, time and working space is a scarce comodity..

For example, a well known Manufacturer whos been around since the early days of RC and now produces both kits and ARFs sells a particular trainer in both formats. The kit now retails for somewhere around $119.00 give or take a couple of bucks. Besides the purchase price of the kit, you also need to buy glues, coverings, fuel tank, wheels, motor mount, mounting bolts, X-acto blades, sandpaper, filler, etc to complete the kit. The covering alone for 2 to 3 rolls is approx $50 to $75 with the tax... and then theres the money spent for gas travelling to and from the hobby store multiple times to buy the extras you decided to wait and get later...once the airframe is built! Now spend anywhere from 25 to perhaps 50 or more hours building, sanding, filling and covering. OH and wait....I need an Iron and a Heat Gun??? How much is that? Hmmm!!

The ARF version of the exact same model comes with everything necessary to assemble and ready it for the engine and radio equipment for around $189.00. Assembly time approx. 10 to 18 hours (avg builder)

Now YOU do the math! Be honest with yourself now.... Who has more money to spend....the KIT builder OR the ARF assembler????

NOW don't tell me that its cheeper to build a larger plane from a kit! Again, when you add up the price of the kit plus everything else needed to complete it, you'll find that.... almost... every time, the ARF is still cheeper.

Please don't get me wrong here, both ways there are pros and cons to this argument OR choice. Personally, I perfer building either from scratch or a kit as I like to add my own preferences to colour, detail and design. Or perhaps there is not an ARF (yet) for the particular model I want to fly!

Then again, I no longer have three kids living at home in my meager appartment on the 5 floor of an appartment complex where noise, dust/fumes, space to build and accessability is a serious concern! You can assemble a small trainer on a dinning room table but build??? Hmmm! Maybe I buy ARFs now to save money for a larger vehicle instead of trying to drive to the field in my VW Bug with the plane, the dog barking wildly and the three kids screaming "Are we there yet!"

Just MHO! And lets be fair here when using terms like " lazy... with money" because many now opt to buy ARF's.

I prefer to say: "ALL the wonderful people who are able to join us, whatever way they choose to aquire their aircraft, where we make some of the best friends we'll ever have, where we help each other to find the joy and sense of accomplishment that only the great hobby of RC Aviation can bring! Are we having fun yet?? YOU BET!!!

NOW...Thank you for listening to MY Rant!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
I buy ARFs to get something in the air in a hurry to hack around with, then I scratch build planes that there are no ARFs or kits for. I can't figure out why some people are so concerned and upset over what the other guy is building. To each his own.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.