RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ron B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 4

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My nefew bought complete electric model from Radio Shack for his kid for Christmas. It was on sale for around 40 bucks, just add batteries.
He asked me to put it together and fly it to make sure it worked, which I did, but there is no way I would have even tried to fly it.
I'm not saying these toys don't fly, they might and kids may be getting a lot of fun out of them. However, you must spend a lot more to get something that will perform and last a few seasons barring any wrecks.
This is a technical hobby and requires expertise which I think is a good thing. Like the old saying goes, "If you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it". Having said that, I can barely afford it but skrimp and build my own and get by and love it.
MAAC # 77858
Ever since I learned to fly better, I've had a lot less radio problems!
Flybaby is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
As I recall, my first venture at RC kicked the crap out of a thousand dollar bill, and I started with an LT-40 ARF. (then the engine and radio and the MAAC membership and the club membership and some fuel, and etc.......)
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
When I started it cost me sixpence for a little balsa "Chuck" glider.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
HMMMM for glo we set it up something like this.

Beginners package
Hanger nine alpha package, Dubro deluxe fueling station (includes glo driver, fuel pump and plug wrench) 3 hanger nine glo plugs and 3 10X6 two blade props and new spinner. Fuel is easier bought localely than trying to ship it under hazardous goods. A chicken stick can be easily made most will let the new guy borrow their electric starter for a bit. Everything you need to get started all new for under $500 Canadian taxes and shipping to your door included.

No need to go overboard when starting out. Keep it simple and inexpensive. The new guy will adjust his purchases according to his pocket book and his personal preferences as he progresses.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

My first plane was a "Jetco Thermic 72"
I think it was about $15
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermic72picts_006_158.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	22046  
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #16
agnew airway
RCC Noob

RC, entry cost:

Hey, good points all! Used and borrowed is good as long as the damn stuff works. I've seen RC beginners come out to the field repeatedly only to have all flights cancelled while other regular fliers eat up their time trying to get the newbie in the air. Can become discouraging. In regards to club membership fees I agree with byrocat, they are the biggest deal going. My last golf club fees were several grand for one year, don't do that anymore 'cause flying is way more fun!
The "total gizmo package" for beginners is a great idea as long as they realize that most of that stuff is dedicated to one particular plane and the initial training phase. After that you're filling up the cart again. The flight sims are a great way to introduce someone to the hobby. They either end up gathering dust in the far reaches of someone's HD or turn a future RC pilot on to the hobby with a bigger commitment.
And in terms of instant gratification, I've seen more plebes turned on at the raw beginner level with electrics, not IC which involves a lot more buggering around once you're in the sun!
Wouldn't pay for us to all be the same!!!
"Poor bloke didn't even look around"
agnew airway is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

When I was instructing years ago I saw alot of beginners come out to the field with a ton of "extras".

In reality you can get started in this hobby for $500 to $600 as mentioned.

Electric starters, $100 field boxes, fancy power panels and other stuff like that is nice, but not necessary for a complete newbie, especially when there's some question if people will commit to the hobby.

I've been talking to a bunch of co workers and such who are interested in getting into the hobby and I suggested they just buy the necessities to start. You can get a damn nice computer radio for $200 now (Hitec Optic6) and a basic traininer/engine setup can be had for a good deal in ARF setup.

I tell them to hold off on all the other extras out of the box and buy them as they need them.

Since they're going to be flying one-on-one with an instructor for a period of time, most instructors are willing to share their own equipment such as starters, etc.

This saves students alot of money out of the box, and they can buy it as time and money allows.

Worst case scenario when money is really tight I remind people that you can still start a glow engine with a chicken stick, and that $75 electric starter isn't absolutely necesary.

Same goes for alot of other stuff that most experienced guys consider "standard" nowadays.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
I agree!

I have attended fields where it is virtually mandatory to spend a grand just to get the "right" equipment! "No point in buying anything less than a 40, 6-channel minimum", and the beginner walks away, never to be seen again.

I have no idea how I have survived for so long with a 4-channel radio, $6 brushed motor, and not much else. I own more than that, but I still don't think I have $1,000 invested in the hobby, and a lot of it is stuff that isn't found in the average modeller's gear like balsa strippers, diesels, and the like. Perhaps someone can enlighten me, after my nearly 60 years in the hobby!

We don't catch the newbies early enough: we see them when they show up at the field with what they think is what is needed. We need to get them at the hobby shops while they are making their decisions, steer them into stuff that is guaranteed to work under minimal direction, without getting into stuff that scares them.

I see too many clubs that will NOT have anything to do with the guy/kid who shows up with a 2-channel foamie, telling him/her that it isn't a "real" r/c model. Balderdash. Orientation is the first lesson in flying r/c, and it really doesn't matter what it is that they are flying (I know that I will get heat for that one, but that is what my experience has proven to me).

I still stick to my premise that every club MUST have a workable, classless beginner's program, or lose their MAAC Charter. Annoying to some, perhaps, but if we are to keep some form of grip on the invasion of foamies and park flyers, but I leave it up to them to come up with a better plan!

TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
I still stick to my premise that every club MUST have a workable, classless beginner's program

Heres to flying clubs with no class

Aw come on......... you had to see that one coming a mile away!

And here comes the heat.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor

I have helped out kids who came to the feild with thier parents who came with those airhogs puss button type controlers you get for $50. The point is to have fun with what you have. If I have my kids alpha trainer I let them take her for a spin as long as my kids say O.K.

Then of coarse I read about a guy who spent a $100 dollars on servos for his plane. I can see $100 per servo not $100 for the whole plane! you know who you are Mike
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.