Cost much eh? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 PM   #21
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
I have helped out kids who came to the feild with thier parents who came with those airhogs puss button type controlers you get for $50. The point is to have fun with what you have
Allot of these same kids (and perhaps their parents) are apt to be the same ones that come back a few weeks later with a full blown trainer setup, ready to learn.

You only have to get hooked once and enjoy it to really get into this hobby.

For me, 25 years ago, I got hooked with a $100 RC Buggy that I drove around until it would drive no more...and I quickly went uphill from there.

If it's that $50 airhog that gets them hooked on RC on any level, you can pretty much be sure that they will eventually upgrade.

As much as some view the Airhogs/Pico's purely as "Toys" compared to real RC, it has (IMHO) a net benefit in that people can now get introduced to the world of RC aviation for a downright cheap price.

Those who may be apprehensive to invest $500 or more to get started in glow fixed wing may quickly change their mind when they go out and have an absolute riot flying their $50 airhog.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #22
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Donovan R

Morning TLyttle

Hate to nitpick but MAAC does not charter clubs perhaps you are thinking AMA in the states. My club is a "MAAC Club Affiliate Member" for which we pay $25.00 annually to MAAC so as to provide our site owners liability insurance and all our members must be MAAC members. My club decides who flys at our sites and not MAAC.

But then again from the MAAC site it says:

“Club Affiliate Member” is a club within the organization of the corporation. The Club Affiliate Member is loosely called a “Charter Club” of the corporation.

don dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Whether $500,$1000,or $5000 is too much or OK to spend on our hobby sport is a very individual opinion.After the basics like family,income ,and debt load are taken into account its all a matter of priorities and if golf,or skiing,or snow machines,or whatever are more important to you ,then go for it........ but if our passion is no 1 then its your choice to make.
The latest Tower Hobbies promo arrived today......
The Nexstar package including an OS .46 and a Futaba 4 channel is $US 369.00 and includes R/C simulator software,,no charge for freight,a $25 gift certificate,and a free replacement if you crash with some conditions.
The only things you must add to put this combo in the air is a can of fuel and a $10 plug lighter.
I have trained several begginers with this package and its good reliable equipment and the engine and radio can certainly be used in a mid range next step up when the pilot is ready.
This model isnt my favorite trainer,( SIG LT40 is)and the first thing I do is disconnect the gyro,and I know we have price advantages living on the border etc.........but a $500 dollar bill will get you well started after you join a club and MAAC.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #24
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Re: I agree!

Originally Posted by TLyttle
I I own more than that, but I still don't think I have $1,000 invested in the hobby, and a lot of it is stuff that isn't found in the average modeller's gear like balsa strippers, diesels, and the like. Perhaps someone can enlighten me, after my nearly 60 years in the hobby!
I find it hard to believe that in 60 years in the hobby you have spent under a $1000.00 TOTAL invested in the hobby. Heck a golfer can blow through that in 10 years of balls alone!

What discipline do you fly? If it's rubber powered Free/Flight then I might believe you but you mention diesels so....
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #25
Brian Fife
RCC Apprentice

My kids hockey (both in rep) cost about $7500-$8000 a year, but you can't beat the trill and excitement of minor hockey.

They both have their own plane and we try to spend as much time at the field as possible during the summer. We spend what we need too, to fly but not near as much as on hockey.
They will grow out competitive hockey some day, but hopefully not flying.
Brian Fife is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #26
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
The Hobby

Badly worded, I agree. My investment in the equipment is likely less than a grand. Diesels today are very expensive, but I was picking up diesels for $3-5, sometimes for free. As far as financial nitpicking is concerned, most of those diesels sold for more than 10x the purchase price, once they came back into "vogue"; does that qualify as "return on investment"? Same with radios: I have only bought 2 radios in the last 30 years, no more than $200 between them. I stand by my calculation. And yes, I spend a LOT of time building rubber freeflight, but the only kit I can point to as being expensive was my Ace Siver Seven radio, and again I got more than the price of the kit when I sold it.

As far as MAAC is concerned, you are right, but my meaning is the same: if the club cannot supply proof of a beginners program, then they should lose their Affiliation status, and the attendant insurance coverage. I feel they are part of the hobby including the responsibilities as well as the benefits, and beginners are very, very important, as is their proper training. Too many clubs ignore this responsibility!

Wow, eight grand a YEAR! more than my pension...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #27
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

Maybe you should say something like:

$400-600 to start out, get a feel, and decide if you like it. If you do like it, plan on cancelling any golf memberships, hockey leagues, etc...."

It still makes me ill thinking about the wad of cash tied up in my 41% Extra.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #28
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

I bet that illness goes away whenever you fire it up and fly the wings off it!!

I don't even think about the cash I spend. (I do budget, I just don't worry about what I have spent). Whenever I do go flying, even if I crash, I have gone out and done something for me. I've usually had a good BS session, hung out outside, and had a good time. And most of all, the phone doesn't ring.
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #29
RCC Apprentice
I am: Charles R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Re: Cost much eh?

I'm just starting into the hobby again after a 35 year hiatus. I've always maintained contact with the hobby but work and family didn't leave me enough time. When peoples' eyebrows furrow at the 700 to 1000 startup
costs, I point out the costs of snowmobiling and boating. Either one of those machines sit in the driveway for the major part of the year plus they could buy out my hobby 10 times over. I can enjoy this hobby year round either building, flying and one of the most imortant parts of

I was an only Child. I never learned to share or fight. When I finaly got out into the world, I soon learned how to share because I never learned how to fight!!!

Last edited by HarvardsRule; 09-16-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: no smiley. only the name.
HarvardsRule is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #30
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Cost much eh?

Wow? you dug this up from 2007???

Today I would say buy a BNF Supercub for $170 (Pinnacle Hobby in the GTA) and a DX6i (DX7 is better, but if you want to get in the low end,) a Dx6I barebones is about $170. That's all you need for a good reliable starter plane that would get you in the air for at least a year's worth of fun flying.

Of course if you wanted to "go nuts", buy 2 more 1300mah batteries and you are all set
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.