What ever happened to RCM Magazine? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It is also no longer. They have decided that the internet online catalogue is cheaper to do, so no more paperback.
Now that is sad. So those without internet access have no access to Great Hobbies?

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Lashl
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14sg

Total Props: 2
I wrote to them last week requesting a new catalogue and this is the response I received

Regarding the catalog, the 20th Anniversary is the latest we have and we are not planning on making another in the near future. The only full catalog we now have is our on-line catalog. Purchasing through our website has now completely outweighed the viability of producing a printed catalog. Sorry for any inconvenience
Thanks for your time and have a great day!
Lash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff M

Hello all,
Although I find there is the odd interesting article in Model Airplane News and the like, I much prefer the British magazines. RCM&E is probably the best. Aeromodeller and Flying Scale Models are both good building publications. All these come with free plans, which are accompanied by building articles in the magazine.
Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, identify yourself."
Frequentcrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: doug c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Best magazine on the market for the money is RC Report
You can check out their website at www.rcreport.ws
They cover all aspects of modeling and do honest reports, no catering
to the advertisers

dccoop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
Cecil Marshall
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Cecil M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
RC Report

RC Report
I'll second that..
Nothin' fancy,just good honest articles!
I've got a two year subscription.....
MAAC #11945L
IMAC #3709
Instructor Soo Modellers
Cecil Marshall is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

RCM&E is great. I had a question about one of the plans. I got an email the next day and within a week they actually shipped me an updated version for free.

I'm not a subscriber but still buy the mag almost every month. They've had small electric plans and even some .40 gems. Worth the money IMO.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray M

I think RCM has gone the way that all paper magazines will eventually go.....It does'nt make much sense these days to cut down trees to make paper, print it up on huge energy gobbling machines, transport by US post and Canada Post [on more energy gobbling machines], then have WALKED to your door only to be read then incinerated making even more pollution.
I agree with TLyttle.....There were a hundred useless adverts for every one good article in RCM. I can learn more about modelling on forums like this one, I can talk to master modellers all over the world, I can purchase and sell and express myself to the others, it comes every day, not once a month......and its all FREE. I think Great Hobbies is smart enough to see this and change their ways?????
Ray McDougall, Victoria
See my models at:
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Great Hobbies

I lost my copy of Great Hobbies Catalogue and I miss it, it was just too handy when you needed a p & a on a particular part/kit/whatever. Sure, the 'net is fine, but I still prefer the paper.

I still do not mourn the passing of RCM: it concentrated on one phase of the hobby, and at the end it was Big Scale, where the money is. Having interests that didn't "conform", I found RCM to be a waste of trees. I have some old issues with some interesting plans in them (built a few of them), and I refer to them occasionally (try THAT with a computer!) if I am looking for a smaller project that I can update or electric or somesuch.

I pick up a magazine now and if it is full of ARF tests with no viable plans in it, I put it back; it will have absolutely no value to me in the future. It may be cheating, but I use magazines as a permanent library which has much value to many people; I am able to contribute information to a net topic that is accurate and verifiable, also unattainable on the net.

The magazine will die when publishers kill it IMHO. Look what happened to Model Builder when they lost track of who their readership was!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
Re: RC Report

[quote="Cecil Marshall"]RC Report
I'll second that..
Nothin' fancy,just good honest articles!

I'll third that ..Altough i must admit i rarely buy mags anymore.I can find anything i need/want right here online
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #20
Dr Wogz
RCC Noob

Ditto.. RCM used to be a great mag, lotsa stuff!

Then came along MAN & Fly RC, with their prety pages & such.

And then came the internet, which essentially killed the whole 'magazine for info' concept.. And killed many a good magazine

All magazines have become pretty catalogues. And I refuse to pay $10+ for a magazine...

RCM had a change of admin about a year or two before they folded. Remember, they changed their format & look. Also changed a few editors. Everything changed, but changed for the bad.. They are up for sale, but it dosen't look good..

there is a lengthy thread in RCU..
"Poutine is not an epoxy substitute.
Although tasty and sticky, is not fuel proof"

Dr Wogz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.