Picton Airport Flying--Finished - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #31
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Oshawapilot
Originally Posted by Sparhawk
I thought that if you were landing at an uncontrolled airport, that a overflight was required to ensure the runway was clear for landing? Is this not the case?

Technically the most accepted procedure is called a mid downwind join - it's basically to fly a direct (90 degree) cross over the field at 500' above circuit altitude, observe the windsock and runway conditions, turn and decend on the inactive side of the circuit for the runway you are using, pass over the field again (now at circuit height) and join the mid downwind.

Now you are busy concentrating on the approach and configuring the aircraft, so it gets exponentially busier.

If required you can make a low and slow over the field on the first pass to further observe the runway and conditions...then climbing back up to circuit altitude, fly the circuit, and then make your approach and landing assuming the inspections are acceptable.

There are also several alternate ways to join the circuit, and of course there are also the (*ahem*) "other" ways that some people make their approaches if they are being less the professional.

Given this is a operational airport you'd find that most people would do away with the "inspection" pass so far as the actual condition of the runways are concerned - they will likely make an educated guess on the wind conditions, choose an appropriate runway accordingly, and (hopefully) do a mid downwind join procedure so that they can confirm wind direction and runway serviceability at it's most basic.

However, flying into any small airport (especially little grass strips) everyone need to be aware for those not exactly following procedure, making straight in approaches, dropping into the circuit from above, etc etc.

its should also be pointed out that the gliders approach my differ to some degree and also there is not the luxury of another go-round

rc airplanes and full size sailplanes are a terriable mix indeed ,,the last thing a glider pilots wants is to have to dodge rc pilots on final

not all ,but many rc pilots may overlook the circumstances facing a full size glider port

theres no place,like cloud base!
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

Very good point regarding the gliders....no second chance.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #33
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Originally Posted by Oshawapilot
Very good point regarding the gliders....no second chance.
Yes but you become one helluva good pilot this way!

I know I got my Glider and Power Wings with Air Cadets in the late 70's. I use to glide every weekend in April, May & June then again in September and October. When you have only one chance to land you get good at it. I use to always leave about 500 feet extra altitude until I knew I was going to make the field then do some wild sidesliping down to about 5 feet bang the rudder and flair her in. Was quite exciting, for me anyways, I don't know about some of the kids though, they looked a little green some times.

I was flying Power and Glider for a while and rarely used flaps on the C-172 as i would slip in for a landing as well, always on the numbers. When I stopped gliding, after about a year or so later I noticed I started depending more on the throttle and flaps and such because I knew I had them. In other words my landings got a little sloppy and it took a lot of mental work to get them back up to snuff.. but I digress..

Yes the Stoney Creek Hawks have hosted about a half dozen modeling events at a local Agricultural Airport in Stoney Creek. There is always someone on a handheld monitoring the traffic and they make sure that a AIC is issued for the dates they have model activity.

The airport is supposed to be closed but you get the odd pilot that hasn't checked the AICs and flys in any ways. When traffic is herd approaching then all RC Activity immediately stops and any aircraft in the air is recalled for landing to ensure there is nothing in the air for when the aircraft arrives. It works quite well and there have been no incidents to date.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #34
RCC Apprentice

Hi, my family and I are regular visitors to the Picton area, whenever we are there I sneak away after dinner on the nice evenings to visit the guys at the airport flying models, upon my last visit in Aug./06. I was chased down by some kid barely old enough to drive and told that I was on private property and I would have to leave or I would be charged with trespassing. I wish your club the best of luck finding another site.
Less is More, More or Less
sabre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #35
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Total Props: 1

Well, I believe we have another place! It's only about 15 minutes out of Picton heading east. just before the 401.
Again, it's an active airport BUT for "some" reason there doesn't seem to be an issue here
I'll keep ya posted unless one of the guys involved with want to chime in.
This is possibly GREAT news for the scale Rally!
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #36
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

I wish you luck on whatever happens.

As I said, I'm not against it as long as the proper precautions are in place, but it does remain a very real risk regardless and I can see it from both sides of the story as a pilot of RC and fullscale myself.

Hopefully the new place works out well for you.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #37
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: Picton

Originally Posted by Myzee
Well, I believe we have another place! It's only about 15 minutes out of Picton heading east. just before the 401.
Where would that be, Myles? Up Marysville Road? That would be a heck of a hike from Consecon for me. Oh well, pavement is pavement.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #38
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14
>15 minutes out of Picton heading east. just before the 401.

Not thinking of Mountainview, are you?
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #39
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Moutain View is North of Picton, I beleive he is thinking of the Deseronto Airport.

It is active but in private use, mainly for flight instruction - at last report.
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #40
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

I know exactly how you people must feel . We were holding a NATS contest at our field ( Amidair ) last year and it was cut short because of aircraft control . Some , not all thought that we might lose our field , were 5k from an airport . It turned out in our favour , but we have to watch our cieling , its 500 feet . Can anyone tell me what insurrance doesn t control : Thank GOD that we don t need to insure what we think .

Sorry to hear about youre flying site

Happy Flying

michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.