CP Pro boom breakage idea. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
CP Pro boom breakage idea.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anyone come up with a way to avoid blade strikes on the tail boom of a CP Pro? I just smashed my tail boom with my plasti-blades. It sucks!

I may have an idea........
Get a piece of light aluminum tubing (remember.......the boom length is 12"),
use a small tubing bender, put a slight bend in the tubing about where the blade tip would hit, and keep the overall length at 12". Just an idea. Let me know what you guys think.

Oh.....I believe the OD of the tubing is .50 cm thick.
diverjack is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #2

Boom Breakage

Hi Diverjack
I'm no expert, have flown my Cp Pro 45- 50 batteries, only have one battery, and at the most charge and fly 5 times a day. Don't fly above three feet and confine myself to an area 5 x 10 ft
A Beginner
What I do know, is that in every mechanical setup theres a week member. and thats a good thing hopefully.
If you stick with the stock set up and use the woodies they have this inherent ability to absorb impact energy, and not strong enough to cut like butter
I believe if you poke around in some of the other forums the guys will talk about how they keep away from these plastic blades......

They are very strong, exhibit a great deal of bend before they break and if they hit your boom at that force, they do shear the boom.
Wood blades on the other hand can be more fore giving ..
Putting a kink in the boom may allow the blades to flex down a little further until they hit the boom again....
or may put excessive forces on you rotor head.... Another expense!
You might try to lessen the forces on the CP pro when it impacts the ground

Every action translates into an equal and opposite reaction.
The Force you hit the ground with relates directly to how far the blades flex

Put on a set of woodies, before your head flies apart and the blades come at you like spears...
These woodies are great you can patch then up, cover them with monokote, balance them with some solder, and away you go,

Save those plastic blades for a time when your contact with the floor is with a little less force....
Your Idea of a bend in the boom is great , you may find though that those blades will flex to the floor!

Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
RCC Noob

CP Pro boom mod....

Whacker, I think you're right about the flex, but like I said.......it was just an idea. Better engineering through breakage! lol

As for the woodies.........I can't afford to replace woodies at $17.00 a crack! Gets expensive! The reason for the plastiblades is for longevity.......hence the idea about the bend in the boom . If I break this next stock boom, I'm gonna give the aluminum boom idea a try........just to see if it works.

Happy flying.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #4

CP Pro Bowed Boom

I hear you, those woodies do get expensive, I'm still working on the first two set, don't know how much the boom costs....
Also quite a mess if you cut the boom, probably find yourself replacing tail motor wire. Not sure how difficult it is to remove the boom out of the main frame..
Get yourself a piece of aluminum, pack it full of the finest sand you can find, this will keep the aluminum from kinking on the inside of your bend.
Make the bend as big a radius as possible and you should have some luck with this.
Let me know how you make out!!!
I've done quite a bit of work with bending aluminum, and whatever you do, you want to keep from inducing to many stress fractures through the bending process, or you'll find it will break easily....
You may also find it helpful to use a tubing bender where the shoe and the mandrel , I believe, fit quite closely to the outside diameter of the tube, this will help prevent kinks..
Other option, you should be able to get some of these coil spring type bending aids, I know their available for copper, and you may find one suited to the aluminum tube....

Good Luck
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
RCC Noob

RE: bent boom fix idea

Another idea I have read involves wrapping some shrink wrap around the boom. Don't know if it works, but sounds good. Next boom break, I'm gonna try that.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
RCC Noob

If you go into the "lawn-watering" section of the hardware store, they sell a 1/4" hose made of rubber-band material ( a bit like lab or hospital tubing).
you can attach a short piece of this, with tie-wraps, where the blade hits- it bounces off, instead of breaking the blade, when you boom strike. The down side is that your taill boom has to be well glued in, otherwise, after a few wacks it starts to rotate.
It works for me, see attached image, used blackmarher to camoflage.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blade_159.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	22716  
windbender is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
I do pretty much the same thing with my Lite machines chopper. The rubber that's in the plastic case that some motors and servos come in, I cut a 1/4 in square and Goop it to the side of the boom. Saved the boom and the blades numerous times.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
RCC Apprentice

As someone who has used the plastics, I personally do not like them. they do crack your boom on hard landings and yes it sucks. But it is easier to change the blades than to change to boom all the time. If you are concerned about the cost of the blades switch to Esky blades. They are half the price and work just as well. Just have to clamp the end down a little bit 'cause they are just a little wider than the Eflite blade grips.
My wallet is alot lighter since getting into Helis as a hobby
Pitch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.