Mall Shows - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: Would you attend a club race this Monday September 4th?
Yes 6 16.22%
No 4 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Alan Brace
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alan B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Mall Shows

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All

This is a question for thought and input as our new flying season and close of building season comes upon us. That is the question of Mall Shows.

Why do we have a Mall show?

This is the philosophical question of the month
Alan Brace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: carlyle anderson

I've always been interested in putting one on at my club, however, my fellow members always think its too much work. I don't know. Putting a simulator up and having a couple cool modles around for a day would be a good way of attracting new peple.
you don't need CNC if you are handy with a torch.
Carlyle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Been there, done that, poor results.

It's hard to get people to commit to time slots at the display.

It's even harder to get people to bring a plane in for display when the security of the area is in doubt.

And FINALLY; it's REALLY Hard to get people to bring a plane in after you have to chase kids away from 1/4 scale AC when they are trying to sit on IT!!

The Mother in question was VERY UPSET that we would talk to her little angel that way - after all - "IT'S ONLY A TOY!!!"

Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Originally Posted by Carlyle
I've always been interested in putting one on at my club, however, my fellow members always think its too much work. I don't know. Putting a simulator up and having a couple cool modles around for a day would be a good way of attracting new peple.
It is also good PR to let the people in your community know you are there. Everyone knows there is hockey, soccer, baseball and football in their community for their kids to be active in but what if even one or two kids are interested in model aviation but had no clue where to go.

I was the Treasurer of the Mississauga Model Flying Club for 7 years and we always put on a mall show for over 10 years. We used to have it at Square One and it was always advertised in Model Aviation Canada, the Mississauga News and on Cable 10, remember those community stations. We had the then main entrance where Burger King is now and we had both levels.

We made it a Beauty Contest to entice modelers from all over the GTA to show off what they had been building all winter. I think the Dave Brown Simulator was top dog then, (think "PONG" and that's what it looked like, stick airplanes.) We segregated the aircraft into Trainers, Sport, Scale, Boats and Cars. It was like being at Toledo, only bigger. We didn't sell anything except the MAAC Delta Dart rubber powered models for $0.25/ea. There were easily 20 - 30 modelers at all times, behind the tables ready to answer questions. We had to provide our own overnight security, re: sleep in a sleeping bag sitting up, to guard everything as this went from Friday around 2:00 PM till 6:00 Saturday night, no Sunday shopping back then so no mall open. It was great and I miss it.

Course it is tuffer and tuffer to get malls to give you indoor space now, probably due to liability insurance and all that.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Mall Show

We've been doing a mall show forever
It is a great opportunity to let the community know what model airplanes are all about, and that they in fact are not toys ---

We get great support from the mall they provide a security fence thing that helps keep the touchy feely types at a respectable distance and still allows the really interested an opportunity to get close enough to appreciate each aircraft. We have everything from mini choppers (if I can get it together in time) to 30% IMAC stuff (predominantly a BME Edge, )

We also get requests from our city hall to display aircraft in the foyer of city hall for a whole month (March) - the Corps of Commissionaires does a great job of protecting the models. In 10 years of displays, we may have had one or two instances.
We coordinate these two, so that when we remove the planes from city hall, we have our mall show that day (generally the last Saturday in March)
The weather is generally crappy so spending a day in the mall checking out the models is not too tough
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Nick P
Radio of choice:

our club used to do one. poor results from it, we couldn't attribute one new member gain from the displays over the 4 years we did it, and lots of people volunteered to do it but all of the work always fell onto one or two people.
hydravien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Our Mall Show happens every year. Models are kept behind a spectator rope and there are always plenty of members for security. If someone’s kid tries touching one they are told point blank “NO” and an explanation on the reasons why. If the parent has a problem to bad so sad tell it to the mall manager. It would be a cold day in hell before anyone’s model would be allowed to be abused because of fear of upsetting some irresponsible parent.

Our Mall Show is also our Concourse in Beginner and Advanced Scale as well as Beginner and Advanced None Scale. Of course there is also best of show. We always have lots of new interest in the hobby.

Check it out,
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Friesen 5
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mervin Friesen
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 8

Mall Shows

Our club, Diamond Aces RC Club, runs a successful mall show each year. We display 40 or more airplanes. Several of these airplanes are the new projects that have been completed over the winter. Our members show up and walk around the tables, providing security and answering the many questions. We've invited our Zone Director who comes and displays his larger airplanes. The public show a lot of interest each year. It has attracted new members to our club. Check the pictures and write ups at

We also raffle a complete trainer set. The sales of the tickets provides a big boost to the coffers of the club. It's interesting to note that the winners of the raffle seldom become part of the club.

It has worked successfully for our club and I suspect we will continue for quite some time.

Mervin Friesen
Friesen 5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Tom Skoropad
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Thomas Skoropad
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by bbbair
Been there, done that, poor results.
I agree. Been involved with model shows in one form or another since the early 80's.

Mall shows, flight demos, rec centre presentations, even country fairs, car shows/flea markets.

Bottom line... If you want to show off your hobby and talk airplanes there is no better time or place than a show of some type.

If you are looking to gain club members or introduce people to the hobby, it ain't gonna happen. Lots of people looking and kicking the tires, but I can honestly say that I can't recall gaining one new member over the years.

Generally, if people are truly interested they'll find you.

My two bits,
Tom Skoropad MAAC 26627 - SAM 4112
Secretary - North of Superior Flyers / S.A.M. 110
Assistant Zone Director NW Ontario/Manitoba Zone D
Member MAAC Safety Committee
Thunder Bay ON

The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is yours to draw.

My Photo Gear
Tom Skoropad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
RCC Apprentice
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Mall Shows

Hey All

Mall shows are a great way to introduce people to the sport of aeromodeling. But as it has been written... It is a heck of lot of work.

Our club (Niagara Region Model Flying Club), has put on some great shows. Also, we have had some real bad ones too. Again... all due to organization.

It helps to have a strong executive, that can work and play together. It also helps to have some guys who want to take on the HUGE responsibility of organizing it.

We are actually putting on a show next weekend at our Pen Centre. It is our largest mall in the Region. It will be busy.

We too will be bringing out the simulators an entice people to "try their luck". We are also going to be showing the real guts of our planes - the engines - in all their naked glory. This will include small glows, large gas engines, rotary engines and even a couple of jet engines.

Too bad we could not start them up eh!!!!

We also have the use of two 42 inch LCD screens! Talk about showing off the sport in HD. Another thing that one of our members offered is the use of their company's 10' x 8' display backgrounds.

On this, another member has offered the use of their digital printer. We are going to print 12 x 18 high gloss pictures and putting them up.

However, one of the more prominent aspects we will be showing off is the names of organizations that we contribute money too, through our fun flies. We have provided thousands of dollars through the years to these worthwhile charitable organizations. We want the public to see that we also give back to the community.

Another big thing to remember is to bring out printed literature that talks about your club and your sport. We have actually done a mall show years ago, and forgot to bring ANYTHING identifying ourselves. I guess you learn from your errors too.

We hope to have a great turnout, but that congratulation will be held off until the show is over.

To all the clubs that are contemplating putting on a mall show - do it. Get the members involved.. that will be the biggest part. The shows are a lot of work and a lot of fun too!!

Cheers to all of you organizers and contemplators
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.."
Henry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.