thrust mesuement - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
thrust mesuement

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
question how do i mesure the verticle thrust on a outrunner motor without useing fancy tools or mesureing jigs I need to know if I have any up or down thrust I built mini sukhoi su26 from nick ziroli plans without construction article plans came from model airplane news dont know what year or month thanks regards hyflyer9
hyflyer9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Ed Smith

Thrust is governed by the propeller at a certain rpm, not the motor. The weight of the airplane does not influence thrust. Whether the thrust of the selected propeller can pull or push the airplane along is a different discussion. There are so many variables with thrust readings that they have no use.

Or, are you asking how to determine the incidence angle of the motor?

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Stuart O
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG
# of RCs: 15

Ed I'd like to know how you determine this..(incidence angle of the motor)...perhaps another topic for our meetings?

If man were meant to fly he'd have been born with wings. That's why he invented Superglue.
STO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
RCC Noob

re motor incidence

well stu. I allready know that the wing has 0% incidence and the fire wall is square verticly and latourly so I used a very small square about 3" long x 1-1/4 wide I first used a small line level to level the plane by simply proping up the tale until it is level now a little about the level It is made of aluminum and it came from a childs play tool set for carpentry. With the plane level i first made sure the motor was mounted to the firewall and square with it then I took the line level and clipted it onto the long part of the square then you simply hold it in place on the motor shaft so that it flat on the shaft and if the motor is mounted properly than the level should be perfictly centered if you want up or down just simply use shims behind the motor mount tha same works for lateral incidence my Sukhoi su 26 worked out great with 0% verticle and 1% right small plane only 34" wing and 24" long weight is 1.2lbs wing area is 245sq" motor is EMAX BL2210-30 with a10x4.7 prop a DYNAM 18A Brushless ESC and a Elictrick power 11.1v 3s 1000mah 12-18c lipo battery pack wich provides plenty of power and at only about 120$ for that set up I cant go rong that is as long as i dont forget to charge my battrey. regards
hyflyer9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
Set the same down and right thrust that you would for a gas plane.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
Ed Smith

See me at the next meeting. I have run out of pearls to cast on this Forum.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.