glassing???? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: corey p

Total Props: 3

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
does anyone know where i would go to get a fibreglassing "starter kit" i have never galssed anything before but ive seen it done and it doesnt look that hard... it is not actually for a plane, im going to be building a boat from scratch.. all balsa but i will need to glass the hull before its sea worthy... i know this is a 'boat question' but glassing is glassing and ive posted in the boat forums and i dont think anyone ever looks at them so i posted here...

thanks in advance for any tips and tricks to glassing

all advice will be appreciated

prefontaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 14
Canadian Tire has fiberglass "starter kits" for cars and boats. cheers,Karl
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
I need some more details.

Is the hull being glassed for strength or to provide a hard surface for paint?

How thick will the hull balsa be?

How long is the hull?

Do you have a source of Fibreglass materials locally?

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brad Kacer

Total Props: 0
I've gone over to a bit of a mix on this. I'd use Z-poxy to apply the FG, and then blot up as much as I can with paper towels. You will see the weave quite clearly when it dries. Let it totally set up for a day or 2. The I'd use a mix of WBPU (Flecto Varathane) and baby powder to fill the weave. You'll probably need 2 or 3 coats to do this. The WBPU/talc mix is lighter than paint or epoxy.

Mine is not to reason why; I just wire them up to fry...I mean Fly!
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!!!
I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the chandelier......

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
RCC Contributor

still working out the details in cadd for the boat, its a mono hull, not sure if im going nitro, gas or electric,

im thinking more towards electric with a jet drive, so maybe 36" long and id be glassing it for strength and for a hard surface to paint,

would i be able to make a mold out of foam and glass over it to make the canopy?????,

still not fully sure on the design, wether i want to go with the longer offshore style or what... i have plans for a crackercat (i think its called) maybe ill modifly it to be an offshore type with dual jet drives and a good power brushless setup

maybe even build a tug... just dont know yet, im just trying to see what im getting myself into before i start and then come to a point and get fed up and then loose interest and it sits there for ever collecting dust...

thanks for the replys

anyone have any plans for tug boats??
just a thought

oh the plans i have been working on (crackercat) say to use 1/16" ply for the hull outside..

Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
RCC Contributor

well ive scratched the crackerbox boat and ive compiled a bunch of plans and created my own version

its a monohull and it works out to 36 1/2" long and 11 1/4" at the rear im using 1/8" ply for most of it, i have it all drawn up in cad so i can scale it up to any size, i was in a pawn shop earlier today and i saw a bunch of weedeaters and they were only $30-$50 and fully running so im thinking about making two, one electric and one 48"-60" gasser just tear apart a weedeater and rig it all up, im very new to the building but i am serious about it and will take any advise or suggestions that anyone has for making it easier, and better.... if anyone wants a copy of the plans just let me know, i can send a .pdf version or if you have a cad program i can send the .dwg file, im using 2007 so if your using an earlier version let me know that too so i can save it in that version...

anyway im just finishing up the details on the plan then its off to the laser cutters.... i hope it all fits...i just had a thought, ill print it all off on the plotters at work and make a scale cardboard version this weekend just to be safe before i waste a bunch of money getting it al cut just to find out i messed up somewhere

i have a bunch of other plans aswell if anyone wants them just send me your email and ill send them to you...

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.