RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: DeanM

Total Props: 0
Flying large scale planes???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been seeing alot of the larger scale planes for sale lately and was wondering how hard they would be to fly for a beginer???

Obviously the bonus is that they are easier to see but are they harder to land/take off then a trainer??? And i'm sure they crash just as nice......

Input??? Thanks
6cuda6 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: corey p

Total Props: 3
im not a very experienced pilot just yet, but what i have found is that the bigger they are the better they fly, they dont get bumped around as much in the wind, like i just wrote in another post, im fully self taught and i went from my foamy cessna up to a tiger trainer and thats going from around 30" wingspan up to a 74" wingspan and wow what a difference, so i cant wait to move up to giant scale... all depends on the plane too, they all fly different eg. taildraggers are more difficult than a trike

hope this helps

prefontaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
For large scale to learn on, (not "scale" though), try something like this:
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
As your probably aware, to be considered scale, a model plane has to be fashioned after a full sized counterpart.

That being said, as was previously mentioned, how easy or difficult they are to fly depends on the type of airplane you want to model.

For example, a J3 Cub would be considerably easier to fly than a P51 Mustang, as it was basically designed as a trainer type plane with built in designed stable flight characteristics - things like a flat bottomed airfoil and diehedral.

Even thought considered scale, the designers of scale model planes sometimes "cheat" just a bit by building in some of the more stable flight characteristics to make them easier to fly - things like extending the fuse length and using slightly oversized tail feathers so they aren't so touchy at the controls.

All the same, true scale models are somewhat more difficult to fly than trainers. Usually the takeoff and stall speeds are higher than most all trainers. Also, if the model you chose has a full semectrical airfoil, it won't self correct in the air. A trainer with lots of diehedral will level itself if you let go of the sticks. Not so with a semectrical airfoil. You put the plane in a banked turn, let go of the sticks, and it will stay (usually) in that configuration until to turn it back using opposite ailerons.

Just because a model plane is bigger doesn't necessarily mean it will fly easier. You can get away with a lot more in the air with a trainer than you can with a scale model, as the trainer is designed to fly slow and stable and will self correct. A scale plane means your flying it at all times and not relying on the plane to correct itself as most trainers will do!

Your best bet is to go out to your club field and observe the guys who are flying scale planes. Ask a lot of questions and choose a scale plane that will be fun to fly for your first scale model. Even if you have your wings which you got flying your trainer, ask an instructor for help! Nothing to be ashamed of getting back on the buddy box until to get the feel of your new scale model. Better that than asking for help picking up the pieces!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #5

Total Props: 1
Keep in mind too that to crash what is usually a trainer (40 size) is not all that big an investment. Now, to crash one of these big fellas (when being used as a trainer), might discourage you pretty quickly.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
If you mean giant planes aka "Big Birds" (not necessarily scale), this one is at the top of the list:

You take your first training flight on this one. It is a very forgiving airplane..I have flown several of them powered from .60 to 91's....

When you are bored, switch on the high rates and have fun - inverted, knife edge, loops, rolls, etc. (snaps and spins are difficult because it is too stable)

It does well on wheels, skis and floats too....
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.