Looking for first electric heli - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Sebastien

Total Props: 0
Looking for first electric heli

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys,

I'm totally new to RC stuff never flown a plane never flown an heli before. I recently got my hands on a RealFlight sim and I've been trying to learn with it. My real question is What would you suggest as a first electric heli. You should know I live in a small house with no garage so an indoor like the Blade CX would be a little cramped in the house(I`m afraid I`ll break something). I`ve seen Radd`s school of flight and I`m prepared to go through with it, my problem is I have no indoor space for it.

Open to suggestions but would like to keep it on a low budget, to keep the lady happy and to make sure that it doesn`t cost to much to repair.

para_seb is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Al B

Read this thread. One of the guys posted some links that I found some excellent info in. It almost made me want to look at buying a heli.

Liquorice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
RCC Noob
I am: Sebastien

Thanks for the reply, I had already looked at those links. I was looking for feedback/suggestions from members of this forum.

I've, since then, talk to some guys at the local hobby shop, they were suggesting a Blade CP pro. But from what I've seen from other posts it doesn't really qualify as a beginner's heli. What do you guysthink about that. They offer it new for around 325$ which I must say sounds good for my budget...

para_seb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
I'm not an expert on helis, but I have a blade cp and found it to be good for learning how to hover. I have a blade CX which is very easy to fly and hover, however, it did not teach me any of the skills required to fly a conventional heli as it is too easy to fly. I would recommend the CP or CP Pro based on my limited experience.

Hopefully some of the more experienced heli guys can chime in...
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

electric heli

one of our fellows has a Walkera Dragonfly 4 that he is flying in the school gym really nice. it is fixed pitch
he had it hovering hands off
He spent a ton of time on the sim though - he has G3
I keep crashing mine abd breaking it
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Todd n
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2
Pick up a used Trex, they can be setup to be really docile and are cheap to repair. Anything smaller than that and you won't be able to fly in anything but dead calm.

CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
RCC Noob

My son just bought a CX2 and as been having a ball learning how to fly it. I expected that he would have to go out to the garage to get enough space He has been flying it in the living room in an area about 12' by 12'.

We were down at the local hanger fly on Sunday and I noticed a number of experienced pilots with CX2/1s. They seem to be popular just a an alternative economical flying experience.

I agree with others, it is not a machine for outdoors.
FrankS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
The Codfather
RCC Noob

I have an Esky Honeybee FP that I have flown the crap out of and love it!
It hovers and flys just fine and was less than $100.00. Remember, anything you buy is going to need parts, so figure that into your price. The Honeybee parts average from $3 to $7 dollars and the parts count is low. This thing is as simple as a stone axe and just as easy to fix and fly. I'm getting pretty good with mine and am waiting for nice weather so I can fly outside, I've been doing all my practice in the livingroom. Check it out and the Esky BeltCP.
Altitude is insurance!
The Codfather is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
RCC Apprentice

I love my Honey Bee King 2. great to fly and easy to learn as long as you also have a flight sim to practice with. Just waining for the warmer weather to go an play outside. Kinda bord in our condo library.

Quhaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Paul Petrie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper
# of RCs: 10+

The Blade CP Pro is not for beginners. Myself I started with a Walkera Dragonfly 22D. Then Blade CP. Now CP Pro. The CX1 or 2 is a great indoor flyer but as previously mentioned it does not properly prepare you for an advanced flier. Keep in mind regardles of your future purchase, the availability and price of parts. You will crash. You will break things. Perfectly normal. That was the drawback of the Dragonfly. No parts locally. Only online. Most LHS carry Blade, Honeybee and T-Rex parts. Ensure you stock up. Extra battery pack(s) are a big plus. As well as training gear. Good luck and welcome to the hobby
leopard1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.