Everyone remember to put a new plug in their plane? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Shawn Z

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm real ---- about checking my surfaces before flying, but a few session ago things only went wrong after checking. While taxiing to the far end of the runway, I ran over a small piece of tumble weed and it lodged itself between one of my elevator counter balance and the end of the stab. I only noticed it right after rotating on take off when one elevator jammed in the up position, and if I hadn't already known how to harrier, I was about to learn real fast. Got her down without a scratch, but the pucker factor pegged the scale...
Zippy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #22
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
real men? i thought the real flying starts when the engine quits

Especially when it happens to your helicopter,
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #23
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I can't believe Chad hasn't taken the bait...lol... come on Chad... you know ya waaaannnnnaaaaa!
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:55 AM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Originally Posted by Randy Brown
He said TRYING

Originally Posted by Noin
Originally Posted by ronm
Originally Posted by Randy Brown
Ron I might be wrong..but i belive Chad was being smart because he is flying Electrics in his fish

Originally Posted by ronm
Originally Posted by can773
Here is a question I have....

doesn't anyone check the directions of surfaces before a flight anymore?

Also...what is a glow plug...and why should I put one in my plane?

I think he meant spark plug.
But could be the high-current motor to speed control plug?
You're right Randy...but then I was trying to be smart too!

Way to go Ron.......you got Randy all confused.
Oh no, the dreaded "Quote box paradox!"
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #25
RCC Supreme Contributor

Originally Posted by hillmanr2
Getting some one to check out your plane is a very, very good idea as far as I am concered. It is easy to overlook a mistake, or look at one long enough it seems correct. I always have others look at my planes as humans have such a great nack for picking out others mistakes.

Your instructor did you a HUGE favor!!!!!!! You should thank him again the next time you see him. The issue on this one was what is called pitch coupling. The plane was an aerobatic mid wing type plane with no dihedral. If the plane is not properly trimmed, using the radio and various methods, when rudder is applied the plane pitch down suddenly and rolled at the same time but not in the the same way your trainer would. A trainer (dihedral high wing) is very stable so it will return to wings level once rudder or aileron is neutraled. A symmetrical low or mid wing will not return to wings level on it's own, it is less stable. You must make a control input(s) for the plane to return to level. This is the huge problem with reversed ailerons. Your brain keeps making the problem worse.
Had the plane been properly trimmed however (I am talking about more than just straight and level adjustments with the trim levers) it would have been possible to get it back using rudder with very small but easily adjusted for aileron. Basically flat turning the plane back.
If I ever have to get someones aerobatic plane back with reverse ailerons I think I will try to do it inverted, at least it will pitch up
What caused the ailerons to be reversed? If the wrong model memory was selected, It wouldn't matter whether or not you'd trimmed out the pitch coupling or not, since you're on a different model anyways!
Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #26
RCC Supreme Contributor

I don't know why they were. I can only speculate. The point however is to check before every flight and especially before the first flight. Before the first flight of the year or maiden I always ask someone I trust to look over the plane and check the movements.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.