RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Kelly W

Total Props: 0
Cleaning Glow Engines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have 2 Glow engines that need to be cleaned. Is it true that if you take your engine apart and put everything in a Crockpot filled with antifreeze, cook on low for a few hours it will come out shiny again ? I'm no chemist but I am curious and willing to give it a try. If this doesnt work are there any cleaners available locally ? I read that Dawn Power Dissolver works to.
Any comments appreciated

kel1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice

another suggestion

in the future, if you use fuel with synthetic oil (rather than castor) - you won't have to clean that gunk off of your engines, and will have more time to fly!!
Poelzer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Engine cleaning

The following engine cleaning tip is from the KWFD (Kitchener Waterloo Flying Dutchmen) January 2006 "Hints and Tips" section of their newsletter. You should be cautious, antifreeze is toxic and you should dedicate a crock pot only to engine cleaning - I got a small one from XS Cargo for $9.99, but Walmart has them as well.

The newsletter also tells you where you can find the size of the bearings so you can purchase them locally.

By the way, I have engines still in use after 30 year - I attribute this to always making sure my fuel has a percentage of Castor oil.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Miller

"Hints and Tips:

Cleaning Glow Engines and Carburettors
Many modellers have used antifreeze and a crock-pot to clean their engines. The procedure is to use ethylene glycol antifreeze (green or orange, full strength), put it in an old crock-pot, allow it to heat. Then put the engine parts in it and let it stay in the heated crock pot antifreeze overnight. The parts will come out like new in the morning with a light brushing, caution they will be hot so remove with pliers etc. You can rinse the parts with hot water, dry, and lube afterwards. I use Rislone from WalMart (yellow container) to lube the parts; Rislone can also be used as after run oil. If you decide to do this, please make sure you read and heed the cautions and warnings on the antifreeze container label and do not use the crock pot to cook food in after putting antifreeze in it, antifreeze is poisonous, you should dedicate the crock-pot to cleaning parts only. Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated area such as a garage or shed. I purchased a new, small crock pot from XS Cargo on Victoria Street, near Flite Craft, for $9.99 strictly for this purpose.

Glow Engine Bearings in Waterloo
After doing the above, you may want to replace the engine bearings, although this may not be necessary, if you do, they can be bought at Flite Craft or one of the following:
Glow Engine Bearings in Waterloo
Motion Canada (Usually has to order)
510 Weber St. N
Ph. 884-1220
Glow Engine Bearings in Kitchener
Canada Bearing Ltd. (Usually in stock)
500 Trillium Dr. Unit 1
Ph. 748-5500

Note: To find engine bearing size go to site mentioned in July newsletter:
For “Select a Category” select “Hobby Types” then “Radio Control” and look up your engine bearings."
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
RCC Noob

If you are not in a hurry, you don't even need a crockpot. I plug the carburetor and exhaust and immerse the entire engine in undiluted anti-freeze (the cheap green stuff). I leave it submerged and sitting on my cold basement floor for 3 days, then take the engine out of the antifreeze and brush it with an old toothbrush. With almost no effort it cleans up as good as new, even takes all the stains off the muffler. Just be sure that children or pets cannot get to the antifreeze, as it is poisonous.
hackken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Clean engines

I have used carb cleaner with success; more expensive, but it works...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
RCC Noob

Thanks for the tips guys. I picked up a crock pot for nine bucks at Excess Cargo last night and will try it out on the weekend. I willtake before and after pics and post them.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
RCC Noob

I used the crock pot method and it worked great. I am very pleased with the results.
I tried to post pics but I think max filesize is 150kb ?

Kelly [/img]
Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
I heard this off and on for years, but did not believe it worked...I bought a stainless steel pot at the dollar store, and heated the antifreeze outside on the bbq.....worked like a darn. Some stubborn spots needed some scrubbing, but I was really pleased with the results.... As soon as Garage Sale season starts, I'll get my wife to pick me up a crockpot!!
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
I bought a mini crockpot at Wal-mart for $8.99 which I use strictly for this purpose. It takes only a litre of antifreeze to fill and works excellent. The fact that it only needs a litre of antifreeze to fill it makes me like the small (cheap) crockpots better than the big ones for this purpose.
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
I have used this process for years
I use a paint filter after use and pour the antifreeze in a glass gallon pickle jar. unbeleivable the amount of cr.... your filter out of it.
my antifreeze has done over 50 engines and still work great.has to be filtered after every use.
MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.