RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

Total Props: 0
Transitioning to electrics..?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been a glow plank flyer for most of my RC days, although I got into electric heli's this past winter so I've most of the electric stuff fairly down pat now.

One guy from our indoor club has mentioned that he has an electric 40-size trainer on order so that he can join the outdoor club come the summer.

He has been learning heli through the winter so LiPo's and the such are not new to him, nor is electric as a whole.

He's mentioned to me that he'd like me to help him out from an instruction standpoint, something I'm looking forward to...but I've got *zero* experience as far as electric aircraft of that size.

As someone who has flown glow aircraft since I started, what should I be aware of when transitioning to electrics and helping train this member?
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Maqsood

I have been flying electrics for some time now and have been instructing since 1999 (glow)

Make sure the battery is good to run for at least 10 minutes, sometimes when flying with other planes, you might have to wait few minutes before you get the chance to land.

Make sure you have the timer on, so that the plane can be brought back intime before the battery cuts off.

If you get the battery low voltage kick in, throttle all the way back for a few seconds and then use throttle stick slowly to let the battery voltage come up a bit to have some power rather than total dead stick.

Keep your height in first few flights, until you get the idea of how the power system performs.

You didn't mention what plane/power combo he will be flying, but this is generally what I can think of, might be able to add a bit more if I know the power system/plane.
MAAC # 59977
IMAC # 4177

My Website
My Photo gallery
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

Ok, good points.

I'm quite comfortable with dead stick landings, always keeping myself at a comfortable height/distance combination that will usually glide me back to the field with no problems.

With a trainer, no problem at all.

It's been a long while since I instructed but I'm making it official again this summer and getting back into it..I used to really enjoy such.

I believe he was looking at the Nexstar ARF for his chosen aircraft.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.