Carpenters glue ok for ply work? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Peter Gordon
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: peter g

Total Props: 0
Carpenters glue ok for ply work?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm putting together an engine box, complete with landing gear plate, side doublers, and a few ply bulkheads. This is for a 50cc sized plane. Anything wrong with using the yellow carpenters glue sparingly? I'm just looking at the amount of gluing and it'll cost me a fortune in 3 hr epoxy...
Peter Gordon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Phil E. P

Total Props: 2

I think carpenters glue is ok,but not my first choice. i would go with polyurethane myself.You use a lot less and it sands easily.

pep is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

I have used a carpenter's (cabinetmaker's more precisely) with success. Specifically the yellow Titebond brand. I am using aliphatic glues mostly now, like Glu-It and variants from Pica. They sand easier than epoxy, but are still substantial. I would still use epoxy and thckeners in critical areas. West system epoxy and their proprietary fillers are very good and economical in quantity. If you ever build a float plane you need to be conscious of whether the glues you use are water siluble after drying.
Mike Biedul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Soon as you mention engine box or firewall's I go to epoxy. I have also used CA when the joint was snug or no gaps but only up to 40 size. To use that much epoxy you must be putting it on heavy as a light coat does just as good.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 7
I use titebond for mostly all my construction. When you build 1/2 scale, you need lots of glue!!.
For firewalls I also dowel through the fuse sides into the f/wall and lots of triangle stock. No problems yet. On my 1/2 scale Pup, the firewall is 1in thick, dowelled and tri-stock, hope it holds up, hanging a 342cc motor on it!!
Cheers, dave.
Dave Collis
Pitt Meadows B.C.
maac 37241
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Re: Carpenters glue ok for ply work?

Originally Posted by Peter Gordon
...Anything wrong with using the yellow carpenters glue...
Nothing wrong, everything right.

I like the Lepages yellow carpenters glue.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1
Although I am not in your league of huge planes, I have used carpenter's glue almost exclusively for just about everything for many years. For things like firewalls, I like to hedge my bets a bit by using triangle stock at the edges, or better yet, designing the front of the fuse such that the firewall fits into slots and/or dowelled through the fuse sides and also is glued. I tend to like the yellow carpenters glue, thinned down quite a bit - it really absorbs into the wood and the overall joint is many times stronger than the wood itself.

My Senior Telemaster is constructed exclusively with Weldbond - the white stuff that is, I believe sold also as RC56 by the hobby industry at a huge markup. Again, I thin it with water. Supposedly, it is more waterproof than carpenters glue - I may find out soon, as this aircraft will be on floats at times.

I like Balsarite a lot. As my favorite covering is (the becoming very scarce) Micafilm, I have used lots of Balsarite. I always coat the inside of fuel compartment, engine compartment, etc, with the stuff. I hate epoxy, and if I have to repair or replace something, I know that the Balsarite is easy to remove, or to reattach something to. Balsarite really strengthens stringers or other potential weak spots.

Noe of these glues add much weight as they contain a lot of solvent. Epoxy is almost 100% glue, so finished weight is the same as unmixed weight.

The only glue joints I that I have ever "tested" (well, crash tested may be more accurate) and that have failed have been epoxy. It has happened on a number of occasions to many of us. Examination of the failure has usually shown the epoxy to be rubbery or just weak. And, it does not absorb very far into the wood, unless thinned with alcohol or heated. That, plus the mess and smell, turns me right off the stuff.
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.