Raptor 30...a step up for outdoor? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

Total Props: 0
Raptor 30...a step up for outdoor?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm currently having a ball flying my Esky King, but with the outdoor season arriving I'm looking to add my first nitro heli to my arsenal.

I've got a lead on a Raptor 30 well equipped...everything except an RX. Experienced owner so it's not beaten into the ground. Plenty of upgrades apparently, although I'm not privvy to the full list at this point.

Is this a realistic first entry into nitro heli? Obviously there's lots of Raptors around, but I want to know the pluses and negatives before hand.

What would I expect a fair price to be for the above, assuming servos and gyro (non HH, unfortunately) included?

Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Nobody here have any thoughts on this?

I've been warned by a few people to stay away from the V1 Raptor because some parts are tough to get.

Still looking for guidance on this one....
Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
I'd say the raptor is an excellent choice especially if the previous owner is a friend and the price is right ..I cant think of any negatives .Go for it ..Just noticed its a V-1.You can easily upgrade to the V-2 then later on you could sell it off and get yourself a 50 ..Whats his aking price on this?.What are the included electronics,gyro,engine ect?.Once you find out this info post it and guys will better be able to give you some helpful advice...have fun
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
RCC Contributor

I've always found in the past buying an older model (anything) and then "upgrading" to make it equivalent to a newer model of the same item can frequently cost more in the long run then just buying the upgraded model up front and absorbing the bit of extra cost right away.

Since nitro heli is an entirely new aspect for me I'm going into this a bit blind though.

If the V1 is still a realistic machine to own (and repair/upgrade) then I will most certainly look at it very closely as I've no reason to think that it's not a nice heli aside from the fact it's the previous generation...but I continue to look for more thoughts on this from others who may have direct experience with the V1/V2 issue.

Thanks for the response!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: George M

Hey Man

Yeah the raptor is a great heli easy to set up , easy to fly and cheap to fix < you wont be disappointed , here is great place to get info on set up these boys know their raptors

ask for alvin , tell him george sent
and good Flying
geomar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John Appleseed

I've been warned by a few people to stay away from the V1 Raptor because some parts are tough to get
What parts would that be exactly? You should ask them then I can check into it in detail.

V-II parts are interchangable as replacements for the most part. Smash the frames and use V-II units. The top start shaft bearing needs to be replaced with a MR515-2GS (15X5X5mm)at the same time since the hole in the frames for it is smaller on the V-II and the V-1 start shaft is 5mm, or you can upgrade to the V-II clutch system at that time. The V-II tail rotor parts from the mast aft are all compatable with the exception of the hub and blade grips/feathering bearings.

The mast , washout, main gear, tail boom, drive belt, servo tray, swashplate control system, swashplate, freewheel, belt drive gears, tail output shaft, fan, motor mount, most bearings except those noted, canopy(needs different stand-offs or simple modification), tail boom, landing gear, control rods, ball links, mixers, flybar, paddles, flybar hub, flybar control arms etc are all the same or improved but with a direct replacement installation between the two versions.

I've got a mix match of V-I and V-II parts on a 30 and 50 because as they crashed broken pieces got updated, even though the original were available. I haven't really had any issues with either version for parts so far. If you did there are many simple work arounds within the realm of the average modeler.

The main rotor head has different interior parts with the grips and head block being different. If you had procurement issues then an assembly is needed rather than a single part. GH has these V-I parts in stock.

The V-1 tail should be updated if not already done.

There are a whack of aftermarket parts should you like that option, this is something other machines cannot lay claim to. Quick UK supply V-I clutch shoes and rotor head parts.

Look through Great Hobbies web page for instock V-I parts to get an idea what is available. Try Ricks also to offer a second opinion. Revolution, TT and Quick UK (among others like Mavrik) have lots of raptor V-1 pieces.

I'd look at the price of the machine and the specific condition/mod status. Lots of good tunes have been played on an old fiddle!

G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I had a raptor V1, no issues. I didn't see many differences with the V2 other than some webbing added to strengthen some plastic parts. I never had trouble locating parts either, generally in-stock at the LHS.

Great flying heli, well designed and easy to maintain.

MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.