fuel proof clear coat - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
IAR 80
RCC Contributor
I am: Ovidiu M.

Total Props: 0
fuel proof clear coat

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i'm about to paint and clear coating my ZLIN, and there's so many options and discutions about which clear gloss/mate coat is glow fuel proof, and up to x% nitro.
right now i'm kinda confused which one work on latex paint,and i might not be the only one.

my sugestion is to conclude all these info here, so it would be a reference for everybody, with the products available up to date.

thank you all,
IAR 80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
clear coat

My conclusions are no latex or acrylic products are fuel proof. If you paint with latex then spray over with an oil based clear coat which will work fine after letting it cure at least 30 days. However raw fuel will still disturb an oil finish if allowed a little time to sit on the surface. If its a nice model we really should spend a little extra and purchase the professional finishes that are available. Dope works great as well. Bill
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Re: fuel proof clear coat

Try Canadian Tire Truck clear Coat. I yested it with a drop of 10% nitro over night. It took some shine off when rubbed with a cloth but did not disolve or peel it.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bill C
Radio of choice:
JR, Spektrum
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0

Hi, I've used the R-M products from BASF.
For the clear coat I'll be using the LIMCO 4 step technology. Is a three part clear with hardener(catalyst) and reducer.
You can go here: http://www.basfrefinish.com
Look for LIMCO products.
They also have a spec sheet for refer.

bcollydas is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

This must be the #1 topic on RCU, RCC and RCSB. I've read several topics on it. So far this is what I've been able to find:

Latex is NOT glow fuel proof. But has NO issues with gasoline and doesn't need to be sealed. But if your running a mixed-powered fleet (ie. some planes gasoline and some glow) you may want to seal the latex in case some methyl alcohol gets spilled on your new paint job.

If using latex on a glow powered aircraft it needs to be sealed against glow fuel. So far, I have heard that you can use polyurathane clear, Nelson's clear coat (with a cross linker), Warbird Colours clear (with a cross linker) & clear dope.

I am currently painting my Arado with Benjamin Moore Latex. Using windshield washer fluid to thin it. Works great.

I am by no means an expert, this is what I have been able to find by reading the dozens of threads on the before mentioned forums. If anyone has anything they can add please do!

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.