Unionville 6' Beaver question-start a new thread - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Unionville 6' Beaver question-start a new thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well after taking some time off after Xmas, I started working away on my Unionville 6' Beaver again and have some questions if someone can help me.

1) I finished mounting the engine mount and have fastened the firewall to the fuselage. As I mentioned in my first post, I plan on using my Supertigre 45 on the plan. Most of you probably know the stock muffler on this engine is pretty big and would stick out the side of the cowl. Since I want to make the plane as realistic as possible, I have looked at a Pitts style muffler so that the exhaust stacks protrude out the bottom of the cowl. If I go this route, can the muffler be mounted on the bottom of the firewall? If so, how do I route the exhaust from the side of the engine (assuming it is mounted upright) around and down to the muffler? Is there such a thing as flexible exhaust pipe? Or do I have to mount the engine sideways?

2) The plans call for bellcranks and pushrods in the wing for the flaps and ailerons. The owner of the hobby store suggested for the ailerons, I should mount individual servos on the outboard end of the wing. For the flaps, to make a groove in the leading edge of each, epoxy some wire in, link them together by brazing them I guess and have one servo under the center of the wing pushing and pulling the wire. Am I on the right track here? I have already picked up some extra servos at the Whitby swap meet just past so I'm good to go this way.

Thanks for your input.
Cam is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Wayne J

If you want to use a Pitts style muffler you will need to mount the engine sideways. Almost all engines will run fine this way. Bisson offers upright mufflers that will fit inside the cowl if you want an upright installation.

The wing on the Beaver is very thin, ie not much room for full size servos. Hitec HS81 servos will fit into the wing just fine and have plenty of power for this application. I used 4 of them, 2 for ailerons and 2 for flaps on my Otter, which has basically the same wing as the Beaver from Unionville.

Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Go with Servos in the wing, Way Better

Same as Jolli said, I use 4 in my Otter wing too (same wing as the Beaver )... I used HS-81's and HS-85's .. You can use either (I just had 2 85's so I used them too)... Just remmeber to build a tube in the wing ribs to run the servo leads through.. Plus I mounted mine to a plate that screws to the bottom of the wing... This way, just makes it a bit easier to mount the servos on there side..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ottrwing_192.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	23519   Click image for larger version

Name:	ottrserv_150.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	23520  
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
RCC Noob

Thank you both for your comments. The pictures you included are most helpful Darren.
I managed to rotate the engine mount 90 degrees to the side without having to redrill new holes and I will keep my eyes out for 4 HS81/85's in the For Sale section here. The JR537's that I was going to use would stick out quite a bit from the wing.
Cam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.