First crash of the season - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Let's just say the pilot I was buddy boxed with was flying a little low to the ground, and tried to turn, but instead of doing a proper turn, ended up with the plane upside down and he had pulled up on the elevator to get out of it. Needless to say, I didn't have enough time to recover from his mistake in order to save the plane, so the plane did a nice straight nose-dive into the ground.

Here's the amazing thing. The plane is a .40 size trainer converted to electric power. The motor was quite literally buried half way up the can. I brought it home, cleaned it all up and sure enough, motor works flawlessly. Not even the main shaft was bent!

Of course, the LIPO flying the plane had the misfortune of slamming into the firewall and now very much resembles a pancake. Sigh...
True Northern Hobbies, Inc.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tom G

Re: First crash of the season

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about your crash.

Even though the receiver appears undamaged, it may be damaged internally. Please check it very carefully before using it again. Better still (and this is something I do anytime one of my receivers has been in a crash) send it in for a checkout.

The reciever will go in another junker plane (arf) for awhile to test it, maybe i'll put an unbalanced prop and run it on the ground and range check. I don't really want to send it back to the states, i just bought it![/quote]
TomG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
I hear what you are saying, but consider this:

A few years ago, one of my ducted fan jets crashed on its 12th flight. It had a brand new receiver in it. It was apparent that the crash was not due to interference, but it was not "dumb thumbs" either. Best guess was that the battery came unplugged, or the switch failed. Anyway, the receiver looked fine, no crash damage. I tested it at home, and it worked just fine. But, as I always do, I sent it in for service, just in case. In this case, it was a good thing I did, because the service center found an intermittent fault that only showed up at a particular vibration level. Now, it is possible that I could have flown with that receiver for a long time before having any problems, or the problem may have shown up immediatly. There was no real way of telling.

Your choice, of course. But do you want to take the chance of saving a few bucks now, but maybe lose another plane?

There is a safety aspect as well. What if the receiver appears ok, but when you are flying it craps out and the plane crashes in the pits? Or in the parking lot? I'm not saying this will happen, but what if it did?

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tom G

OK, i will ground test it first and see how it works then decide what to do.
TomG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.