Is our Provincial government helping out R/C!!!! - Page 9 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #81
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
>Our club meeting is this Sunday at HMA and I will be making a motion for a minimum of $100.

From the club, or from each member?
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #82
RCC Contributor
I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 0
My $50 will be in the mail tomorrow, and a note to all our club members. Our club is perhaps one of the most fortunate with a landlord that charges us nothing at all, gives us all the legal support we need and want. I was wondering if there anything in the Canadian charter of rights that would help these folks.

Good luck
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #83

The suggestion i made to my Quebec zone clubs was 100$ from the clubs and a minimum of 10$ from each member. But it is really up to you guys. It is just a suggestion.
I can assure you that this money will be used judisiously. I give my word on this.

RC flying has been my hobby for the last 21 years. I dont want to loose it because of some stupid laws and unscrupulous civil servants.

It is not normal that we have to fight against our own government to keep the right, and i said the '' RIGHT '' to practice a hobby. Do golf players have to do this, do snowmobile fans have to do this, do baseball players have to do sailboarders have to do this, NO. This is discrimination.

'' Dont ask what your hobby can do for you but........ you know the rest.''

We will win.

Richard Biron
Quebec ZD
8074 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #84
RCC Noob

I don't want to start any constitutional debates here but Quebec has never been big on the Charter of rights and freedoms.

have a look at wikipedia for the 'light treatment' of the subject;

there is a passage there that runs like this...

"...The notwithstanding clause authorizes governments to temporarily override the rights and freedoms in sections 2 and 7–15 for up to five years, subject to renewal. The Canadian federal government has never invoked it, and some have speculated that its use would be politically costly. In the past, the notwithstanding clause was invoked routinely by the province of Quebec (which did not support the enactment of the Charter but is subject to it nonetheless)....."

A worried RC'er in Quebec, hoping this turns out for the best...
mgermca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #85
bob forest
RCC Apprentice
I am: bob f
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

I am reading a lot of legal terms, and what the gvt can do and not do. This is not going to help. Let the lawyers decide what has to be done. But we as MAAC members can get this message out not to the modelers, we all know the situation, but to the public. Write to letters to the editor of your local paper. If enough letters are printed, maybe in time a large paper, like the Montreal Gazette, or the La Presse or the National post might pick up on the story. One thing you have to keep in mind, is that at one time in our lives we were all young, and most of us when young built or wanted to build a model plane. So the public especially the male public can associate with this. Imagine a man married with two sons ages where they are now interested in model planes, and reads in the local paper that flying fields are being taken away so that we cannot fly our models any more. That he will relate to, and if this snow balls and now letters to the editor start coming from not modelers from MAAC but from the general public, that will definetely help our cause. Governments don't like that kind of negitive publicity. Especially when they read about maybe a young lad would like to go into a aviation career and wants to build models and go and fly it at a club.
Can you Imagine, this would be a dream, Let's say Our Premier Mr. Jean Charest, son, comes home, and says to his dad. Daddy, I can't fly my new radio control plane, and Mr. Charest says why son, then the son says, because, your government wont allow us to fly on our club field, it has been taken away. Now This the public can relate to. So let's go and get them.
Let's get that fund to build to a great amount, so that our story can get out and also well defended by a great lawyer.
Bob Forest
MAAC 4131-L
Assistant Zone Director
St. Lawrence
bob forest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #86
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray M

My flying club recently fought this very same battle against the Municipal level of Government and won!! We spent more than $20,000.00 for a lawyer, a professional Noise Engineering study, land surveyors fees, purchase of decibel meters and modification to our field layout. It was very stressful on the club to say the very least but we learned a very hard lesson from it. We now enjoy a happy relationship with our agricultural neighbors, with the community with the government and with our landowner. We also have our field zoned specifically for model aircraft use. We now know a lot about what to expect from a battle with the Government and we constantly work at “keeping clean”

Money alone won’t do the job.....”Drexus” a few pages ago, identified the main solution in my mind. "our only hope is to remove all the reasons for them to deny the approval of the application.” There are only a few reasons that the Government can have to deny an application. These reasons need to be clearly identified and we need to be absolutely sure that we conform to them and can prove it (by professional documentation ). Here is one example; DANGER TO THE PUBLIC will be one of the most powerful arguments that they will have.....they will have every written report of every single model airplane accident that ever happened anywhere in the world.....we will argue that it is not......they will read the new MAAC insurance sign that is posted on every field in Canada.....and we will be dead!! Some other arguments will be CROP DAMAGE.....NOISE.....POLLUTION.......COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT. Are we sure that we have done everything possible to get top marks if challenged on any of these?

One other item not yet mentioned here....Today, many Provincial Governments have an active and rapidly growing “Agri-awareness” programme or “Agri-tourism” programme. You just need to Google either of these to see what I mean. Part of those programmes identify recreations/activities that are deemed compatible with agriculture, and the programme recognizes them. If you look at some of the “approved” activities it is clear that model airplaning can be one of them.....In our case it is!!
I’m sure my club would be pleased to make the details of our experience available but I don’t think a public forum is the place to do it.
Ray McDougall, Victoria
See my models at:
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #87
Peter Gordon
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: peter g

Originally Posted by Mike Emilio
Peter, , ,
As with yourself, we are proud of our name, and being die hards. No logical reason to use alias names. I wouldn't consider my name and address "sensitive".

I see that you realized the "sensitive info" that I was referring to. Not merely your address and name...
Peter Gordon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 AM   #88
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
Today its Quebec.......tomorrow its Alberta, Sask or BC ....westeners or easteners, Canadian politics and language issues have no business here, this is up-close and personal for the entire RC community. Quebec, you're not alone in this.....Its OUR fight !

$50 coming your way, MAAC !
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #89
RCC Apprentice
I am: Rodger W
Radio of choice:

Flying Field Protection Fund

My 50 is on it's way to MAAC head office, we must support this effort.

Rodger Williams
aviation is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #90
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Originally Posted by ronljroy
I was wondering if there anything in the Canadian charter of rights that would help these folks.
I don't believe the charter of rights applies to Quebec, where the government has been trying to skirt to law since the French were defeated by the British in 1759? 1763? Bad translation here

Yes, I am a cynic. 'have to laugh, to keep yourself from crying'

Would it not be cheaper to fly anyways, get the ticket, and get a public defender?
Is the no grandfather clause to use against this asinine re-zoning?
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.