Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #21
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 3

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Buzz
The only one I recall was the Eindecher with a 15 LA and wing warping. Bent made that one. Maybe he can comment on how it flew.
Garys mono flew like 'crap' I think those where his words. any way mono's up here were never allowed for the reason that we did not want them to dominate the field, this is obvious for several reasons they are easy to build one wing vs two,and they are faster. We want the planes to be slower so those that are intimadated by the speeds of WW2 need not be and will join in on he fun. Good luck, and keep it simple seems to be working for us .
Green side is definitely not up
canadianice is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:01 AM   #22
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Thanks guys. Your advice is certainly food for thought. A ban on monoplanes would certainly simplify attempts to create a level playing field. It also helps differentiate our type of event from the WW2 events.

I'm still thinking that I like the idea of the "plain-bearing engines" rule. From what I've read, that little OS .25FX sounds like a .40 in a .25-sized package. My objective is to keep things so slow and "underpowered" that it doesn't attract "real" Combat enthusiasts. I also want to keep initial costs low to encourage participation.
PfalzPflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #23
RCC Noob
I am: Brendan R

Originally Posted by Buzz

Hook up with Ted Banks. He's got the latest info, and I believe it will be in the next maac magazine.
In a nutshell:

-Any WW1 biplane or triplane (bomber, fighter, scout)
-minimum 3/4" airfoil thickness
-.25 plane bearing engines may be minimum 1/7 scale
-.25 BB engines must be minimum 44" wingsapn
-.25 BB engine must use stock muffler with baffle or pitts style muffler
-maximum weight is 6.5 lbs
-any existing aircraft not to specs but already built by the time the rules are published will be grandfathered in until the end of 2007, maybe 2008 season

okay so I have a plain bearing engine (.25 la) and Im interested in building a biplane for combat.
maybe an albatros or spad VII,

the above quote is a bit confusing to me, maybe I missed something or I just dont understand.
when I interpret "a minimum of 1/7 scale"
I think of 1/7 scale or larger.

but that doesnt make much sense to me, maybe Im wrong, but wouldnt the BB engines use 1/7 scale, and the plain bearing engines use 1/8 scale?
also the minimum wingspan of plain bearing engines was not specified, only that BB engines must have a 44" minimum span. Im assuming plain bearing engines will stick with the 42" minimum span?

please point me in the right direction Im a bit lost.
iFly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #24
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

There probably has to be a better way of wording this which we havent yet found.

Ok Fist off we found that 1/8 just made for too small planes, so just forget 1/8.

If you plan on using a plain bearing engine, there is no minimum wingspan requirement. Simply build whatever plane you want, to a scale of 1/7.

If you plan on using a BB engine, there is no fixed scale. The final scale will be whatever that plane requires to get it to a minimum 44" wingspan. (usually works out to somewhere between 1/6 and 1/7)

Airfoil rule applies to all though.

In summary here, we want to make sure we are flying planes that have just enough power, and not overpowered.
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
RCC Noob
I am: Brendan R

okay that made a lot more sense, thanks
Ive been reading these combat threads for a while and it seems like WWI combat discussions have been very constructive lately,
which is great. keep it up
iFly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.