What RPM are you getting on your DA 50R - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

Total Props: 0
What RPM are you getting on your DA 50R

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey just checking to see if iam in the ball park on RPMs with my DA 50 R. I am breaking it in with a MFC 22-8 and a bission pitts muffler and was getting 6200 rpm. I had heard that you cut the rolled ends off the pipe you will gain a few RPMs. So being me I got out the saw and cut the ends off and picked up 300rpm in the top end. sp in and around 6500 now. is theis normal or low thansk Rob
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

Haven't tached mine yet. Don't really feel the need. It has Piles of power. I have 1 gallon through mine this year. Running msc 22x8. 32:1 penzoil
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jeff D

Total Props: 1
Hi Rob,

Those are the same numbers I got with my DA50 on a Bisson muffler. They are the best choice of muffler, but sometimes a wrap-around is our only choice. You will find that you will still have plenty of power with that combo once it's broke-in.

Jeff_D is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Kevin LeBoeuf
RCC Apprentice

Juat a comparrison.
After well broken in.
-Bisson Muffler MSC 22x8 6500 RPM
-Header & Can 7300 RPm / MSC 23x8 6700 RPM
Kevin LeBoeuf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

I know i have lots of power but the extra Rpm would also be nice. I just dont have the room for a header and can in my Yak. Maybe the next Plane. thanks Rob
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I personally found that with the stock DA muffler I was getting 7200 RPM swinging an MSC 22 X 8 prop.

I installed a Bisson muffler and the RPM dropped drastically to around the 6000 mark. Thats a huge drop in RPM and power!!

I reinstalled the stock muffler and regained my 7200 RPM.

I've used many Bisson mufflers in the past with excellent results but I wasn't happy with the results on the DA50. Please know that I'm NOT knocking Bisson, this is just the results I personally found on this particular engine.

I've known others who used the Bisson and cut the pipe(s) down an inch or two which will help gain 500 to 600 more RPM. (Also increased the db)I still had the stock muffler so I opted to use this rather than cutting down the new Bisson. Of course the stock muffler is somewhat louder than the Bisson but I figured that to have 1000 - 1200 more RPM was worth the extra noise for me!

Again let me say that this is my own personal findings with this engine and muffler configuration. I'm sure others find different results.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: David Hancock
Radio of choice:
JR 11X
# of RCs: 5

This is what I have found with my new DA50, I am first time gasser.
Flying a lanier CAP, weighing in at 19lbs even (heavy)

Ran the motor for 20 min or so in the yard and tached at 6200 with 3W 22x8.
Went to the field next day, tached at 6200 again. I new something was wrong on T/O as the damn plane didn't even want to get off the ground. After 10 min of trimming I was ready to land and throw the heavy beast in the trash bin (remember, first flight on plane and first time with gas).

Went home, called the old man who told me to peak it out to 6700 and try again. Went out the next day, adjusted both needles until everything was great at 6700. What a difference. The heavy beast had all the vertical in the world. Landed, put on a MSC 22x8 and it tached at 6200. Wind came up and havn't made it back to the field yet. Hope this helps you out. Bisson wrap around muffler.
tazman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.