when to stop flying- re: lipo battery - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: ber

Total Props: 1
when to stop flying- re: lipo battery

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi... sorry for newb ???
when there is no more lift??
or time'd minutes? for 11.1v 2100mah 15c battery??
is it safe to charge battery after flying, while it is warm?

i bought this combo...
after using these battery..use default charging..some cell's say battery repair..

thanks eh..
barok is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

Total Props: 0
It really dependes on what you are Drawing out of the batteries. With a lipo batterie the idea MAH drawn out of the battery would be 80% of its max MAH so in your case on a 2100 Mah when you charge the battery you should be putting in 1700 mah . Compleaty dischargeing the battery to low voltage cut off will shorting the life span of your battery. Do not charge the battery while it is warm this will also hurt the life span. Let the battery cool down to ambent Temp before rechargeing. I time my flights with my T-rex and I fly for 6 solid mins doing sport areobatics. I notice a drop in power and thats when i land. Hope this helps . Rob
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: ber

Total Props: 1
thankz rob.. just flying no 3d's..hovering,forward and back flights..i think i get 10-12 minutes.. i will have to get a kitchen timer..
barok is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Just to add to the discussion, pack temperatures over 60 Celcius will destroy lipos and temperatures of ~55 Celcius will shorten their life considerably.

The better quality newer lipos wil hold their voltage right up to the end, so relying on the headspeed dropping will mean the heli dropping. We're talking 3-4 seconds before it falls out of the air.

On a heli, you can adjust the load put on the power system through the pinion selection, headspeed (throttle curve), blade size and type, gear mesh, and by changing motor or battery.

So, to help you ensure that you have a well matched power system for your setup and to ensure that you are treating your lipos well, you should invest in a wattmeter and a temperature gauge. Use the wattmeter to see how your power system is behaving and the temperature gauge to measure the finish battery and motor temperatures (you don't want the motor too hot either).

If you take the time to optimize the power system and setup, you will be rewarded with many cycles on your lipos. If not, you may destroy the packs quickly (they will puff).

New developments in battery technology are giving us more breathing room, but you still need to set everything up well.

For reference, on my Trex 450SE with a 500TH motor on 14T with TP 2070 Extreme packs (25C) running 2800 RPM, I get just 5 minutes of flight.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.