RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bill H

Total Props: 1
Household insurance notices

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My homeowners insurance is coming up soon. On the regular cover letter attacted to the optional coverages has a bright orange sticker attached to it stating:

Motorized Vehicles (Toys)
Your policy may not cover loss or damage
caused by a motorized vehicles.

By definition this includes a lot of things from pocket bikes to Air Hogs.

Anyone else received this sort of thing? I am seeking clarification and alternatives tomorrow whan my broker is in. I was just curious if this was industry wide or ING's normal good housekeeping.

ModelBuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Yes, have your broker check this out carefully. Some policies will exclude
liability arising from the operation of a model aircraft. Some insurance companies will, at no extra charge, issue an endorsement to cover this type of loss, and other insurers will flatly refuse to cover liability arising from the operation of model aircraft.
I know of an instance where a broker (agent) said it was covered, and when the policyholder asked the broker to put it in writing, the broker then checked with the insurance company and they advised the broker that the coverage did not exist, and they were not prepared to cover that type of loss.
The policyholder cancelled the policy and replaced it through an insurance company that was prepared to cover that type of loss.
hackken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
I would be more concerned about loss or damage to my "toys" through fire, flood, break in, etc.
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 7
My house ins. is with ING and I had no note from them at that time.(march)
Cheers Dave.
Dave Collis
Pitt Meadows B.C.
maac 37241
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bill H

Total Props: 1
Household insurance notices

I called my broker and the sticker they affixed to the letter associated with my renewal and the intent of the sticker referrring to (Toys) was concerning snowmobiles, motorbikes and things that could be ridden and should maybe be insured on their own as opposed to a bicycle as they may not be covered for fire and theft, etc. I didn't ask about riding mower but it can be ridden.

I wanted clarification on the remote controlled toys and the broker called the company and the reply was that by definition the RC toys were not lumped into that category. I am waiting for the actual details of what my coverage is and if it covers me away from home, etc. and to what limits.

I don't think there is a better system than AMA IMAA MAAC type Membership insurance at an approved site but it can't be denied that there are many other suitable places to fly safely and that piece of mind regarding liability should be attainable if not already part of my coverage.

I believe I am with a premium Insurance Company, they've told me that in justifying their rates, the broker has anyway, so they shouldn't have issues with putting any of it in writing.

I've heard discussion on why people should pay MAAC's insurance when their household provides (whatever) amount of liability. I know that MAAC does much more that the insurance aspect of it all. I believe some put more stock into the homeowners insurance than may be prudent, without having the agreement in writing.

From just making these routine inquiries of them and their limitied knowledge of these matters, even with both the Broker and Ins. Company being first rate I would hate to have a claim related to a model related mishap and try to hand it off to them.

Dave, the sticker originated with broker maybe to suit local trends.

As far as replaced in the event of fire, flood etc. the policy has a fixed value that covers such things but would not begin to cover the loss. I investigated coverage that would replace everything, independent appraisal, 10% of value or more per annum as a premium on value of stuff and immediately as they have been ripped off so much they assume that either you are in business and want commercial type protection on a homeowners policy. It's insulting really. During my conversation the lady started asking me how many off these models I built, how much I sold them for and, I'm speculating here but started thinking I was operating a business from home.

Distrust is huge. 30 years of insurance without a claim isn't relevant, only the number made, I'll probably end up getting another home inspection by asking about liabilities attached to operating a model plane in a farmer's field.

Whatever the outcome, I'll ask for it in writing.
My Dog lived to be walked.
ModelBuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.