What to run for a tail motor? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Credence
Belts stretch over time, cause static build up, wear out, etc. Not true with gear drives .
Gear drives fail catastrophically whereas belt drives usually give you some warning.

Just last night I was reminded how nice belt drive is - I was out blasting my HDX450 around and the wind suddenly went from zero to 100 (courtesty of the remnants of the storm that passed through yesterday) and it was one of those "holy crap I need to land NOW!" moments. I stopped and quickly set it down exactly where it was at that moment in time.

The grass in the area was a bit long and I heard the belt skip a few cogs as I set it onto the skids rather aggressively and the tail ate some grass and dirt.

However, a quick cleanup and inspection, and it's no worse for wear.

I know if I had a gear drive tail (at least in the micro size I fly) I would quite likely have been replacing gears, and perhaps a tail drive shaft.

Same thing for inflight failures - if you do a hard piro and strip a gear in flight it's not likely to be pretty. However, a belt might just skip a cog or two.

Anyhow, all that aside, wouldn't it be a better financial decision to move onto a bigger and better heli rather then investing alot of money converting what you have?

I've seen plenty of people invest more in a submicro/micro adding bling $100 at a time then it would have cost to just go out and upgrade to a much better bird outright.

I know I spent quite a bit on a Honeybee King I used to have before I realized that I was much better off simply buying up instead of upgrading.

Just my $0.02.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
RCC Apprentice

You are perfectly right, it is better to upgrade to a belt driven instead of adding bling to a BCP.

However, I feel that upgrading a BCPP to brushless and dual tail is not adding bling. Adding bling is to add things that will not improve the performance while costing a lot of money and sometimes adding a lot of weight.

In my case, it cost maybe 60$ to add a brusless motor because I already had the speed control, and I spent 12 dollars to add the dual tail since I have access to a CNC and I can program in 2D G-Code. I only needed to buy a small brushed ESC. Even if I had to dish out the 30$ needed to buy the dual tail housing, I would have spent about 100$ to improve a nice little bird and make it a lot more reliable and with better performance.

I will buy a T-Rex in the near future, and I don't plan to add more upgrades to the BCPP, but I feel my relatively small investment allowed me to make the BCPP into a very nice indoor heli, and it will become the backup machine once I buy the T-Rex. It also served me well while I learned to fly RC helicopters.
If you want to shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?
userzero is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark M

I'm not trying to show any disrespect towards the CP (I started with a Honeybee CP2 with the same tail motor) but I just wanted to get my point out there that sometimes people loose control on trying to get blood from a stone.

Our local heli shop guy has plenty of stories to tell about people with >$600 Blade CP's whereas you could have bought something much more capable and advanced out of the box for less.

I almost bought a full aluminum head for my Honeybee before I stepped back and realized that I was about to make a bad decision. I ended up investing in my current heli which came with a full aluminum head (and tail, and almost everything else) right out of the box.

Looking back I wish I had made this decision alot earlier as I spent alot of money fixing silly little parts on the King that wore out or broke far too easily due to the nature of the heli.

That said, if you can fix the tailmotor woes on your heli for a reasonable price then that's not a bad decision and as you said you'll still have it to blast around with once you do upgrade - although I think once you get something more advanced you'll quickly find yourself bored of the CX.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
RCC Apprentice

Guys thanks again for all your input. I do not want to sink any more money in this little bird than I have to to get it to fly right. I do have a mini titan that I am working on. I just would like something for the days I want to fly something else.
My wallet is alot lighter since getting into Helis as a hobby
Pitch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #15
RCC Contributor

Yeah, that's why I said gear drives are crap on micro helis. Belt is absolutely the way to go on the minis. The gears on the small helis strip if you sneeze on them. Been there, done that, no thanks!

On my larger machines, I've never managed to damage a gear. I've never actually crashed them, but i've had...rough landings (any landing where the model lands in one piece, is a good landing though, right??) .

You'll notice most of the high performance 3D models on the market use a torque tube drive for the tail rather than the belt because of my previous mentioned reasons.

I believe Align just came out with a torque tube conversion kit for the T-rex 600 too. Might have to look into getting that!
True Northern Hobbies, Inc.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.