Goldberg Super Chipmunk - Help!? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
I am: Dion

Total Props: 0
Goldberg Super Chipmunk - Help!?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a couple questions that I have encountered when building this kit.

1. In step 14 under wing construction I have built the wing supports but cannot see instructions on where to place them. Each of the four are different but it is not specified which wing corner they are placed under.

2. In step 3 under the wing building section, I am told to use the set back gauge. If this piece is called the Spar Set gauge on the labeling page then the problem I have encountered is that this tool is approx 90 degrees which means the top and bottom spar are positioned in the same place. When I get to step 19 and I am required to lift the wing using the gauge, the wing is lifted a couple inches and then there is no way that the 2 spars can be positioned to meet because bottom spar needs to be longer. Maybe I have missed something but I canít see it! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
dcollins1968 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Ed Smith

I am assuming this is the full kit and not an ARF.

I built this kit a while ago So I do not have any of the leftovers around. On page 5 of the instruction manual there is shown the piece of wood from which the "Set back Gauge" is pressed (Sheet#5219). It is not shown as 90deg

The wing is built bottom up. In picture 3 page 11 the TE, ribs and bottom spar are glued. The wing has then been turned over and is sitting on the unglued top spar. The gauge is then used to set back the top spar prior to gluing. The top spar is set back so that when the dihedral is set all four spars will meet end to end in the middle.

In my opinion a more accurate way to do it would be to glue the top spar in place with the root end aligned with the bottom spar. Set the wing at the correct dihedral. Place a square against the end of the bottom spar and mark the cut line on the top spar. With a razor saw cut to the marked

Judging by the picture the wing supports are placed at ribs #2 and 14

Ed S

PS I have glass wheelpants and cowl available for this model. If interested email (PM)me and I will quote a price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chipmunk_cowl_764.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	25078  
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
I am: Dion

Thanks Ed. I will have a look at it tonight. I am wondering if I neglected to turn the wing over and as a result the top spar would actually be longer then the bottom. This would account for the spars not meeting. I will let you know.

dcollins1968 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.