Inverting a Four Stroke? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
properly tuned engine shouldn't have fuel left over while running too "pool" in plug hole, never understood this theory

also as was pointed out to me by a more experienced modeler was to put engine into a high idle for flying and only drop to low idle for landings this can be done by simply giving a few clicks of throttle up trim and then simply remembering how many clicks were given

not sure if this helps but it can't hurt
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
supercub Man
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James P
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
WOW! Terrific replies. Thanks so much. Guess I'll put it in inverted - but perhaps with a slight cant to one side so the muffler points between the gear. I intend to use a remote glo plug set up. Then if I need to, that's not to far from putting in an onboard glo.
Waco driver. that sounds like a good idea. Did you have to move the firewall back a little to accomodate the length of the motor? I've just framed up the two sides since I first posted this in the AM, so now is the time to adjust the firewall position if necessary?
I've been using 15% synthetic with a touch of castor in my OS 90FS and the aircraft looks like it was dipped in oil when I'm finished flying. 5% fuel sounds good, but is it good for a FS? I'd love to use less oil!
MAAC #5343
Waco Brotherhood #56
supercub Man is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Ed Smith

Get rid of the castor.

Here is what I do. I use 15% fuel which usually has 18% oil. I mix this with equal amounts of alcohol. The result is 7 1/2% nitro and 9% oil. I have been using this in Four strokes for years.

From the Klotz Oils website.

R/C Model: 2-stroke glow engines mix at 15 -18%; 4-stroke glow engines mix at 5 -10%

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
Waco Driver
RCC Apprentice

If you cant the engine to one side, you will have to cut the cowl to let the rocker box hang out. Installing the engine vertically inverted places the rocker box in the air scoop and requires no cutting of the cowl to let the cylinder head protrude.

I did not move the firewall back. Engine is mounted on a Great Planes mount.

My fuel is 5% nitro, 15% oil of which 5% is castor.

The supplied undercart is too stiff resulting in bouncy landings. I made up a shock absorbing U/C from automotive brake tubing and coil springs which work beautifully. email me if you want details.
MAAC 6273L
Waco Driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #15

Total Props: 1
Inverted straight up/down Saito 100 fs in my ryan sta-m (needed remote glow starter but there is no additional fuel pump. Works just as good upside down as right side up. Using 10% omega and there's gobs of power.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
RCC Apprentice
I am: Wells S

4 OS 52s inverted in the B-24. Never had one quit in flight yet. It does have onboard glow, more for starting facility. It is on below 1/4 throttle. The engines will idle reliably about 500 RPM lower with it on, regardless of what I do to the low speed needle(s).
MAAC 31129
wells is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #17
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Are folks who run inverted engines in their aircraft starting them upright or inverted?

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
I start my inverted engines just like the others. A few years ago a guy taught me to plug the exhaust with one finger and open the throttle wide and turn the saito over 3 full compression strokes, remove finger from the exhaust and turn 3 full compression strokes. Repeat this 2 more times. Add the glow, put throttle back to low position and my saitos usually start with 1 or 2 flips, upright, sideways or inverted, it doesn't seem to matter.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #19
RCC Junior Contributor

i start mine same as i would any other engine only difference is the glow starter hangs down instead of up
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

I can vouch for WacoDriver as I have seen his Otter fly many times never missing a beat. The inverted OS52FS has no issues at all. I now own 2 of them, and have run them both. Amazing engines in my mind. The landing gear is a great piece of work as well.
Gotta love a Cub ?!?!?
Brant RC Flyers
mike99 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.