What flies well in high winds? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I remember a few years back when I was relatively new to RC flying. I had a CGM Cub at the time. I drove the 52 km out to the field but found it quite windy to what I was use to so I helitated to take up the Cub.

One of the old timers of the club was sitting under the shelter just enjoying the relaxation. He was a "Leader" member of MAAC and an instructor plus he had several thousand hours flying full size planes being an X airforce military man.

I approached him and asked: "Jack, do you think its too windy for me to fly the Cub?"

He continued to look straight ahead and without a second of hesitation came his reply: "Well, the airplane doesn't know its windy so I suppose it depends a whole lot more on the pilot than it does the airplane!"

That was the end of that conversation. I took the Cub up for a total of 4 flights that afternoon and I had a blast.

SO.... what I took from that experience was: Even though some planes may handle a bit better than others in the wind, it comes down to your own personal skill level, experience, and limitations as much as the airplane your flying!

Over the years I flown many different airplanes of all makes and sizes and I have never let the wind stop me from having my day of flying at the field.

I must say though, the plane I enjoyed flying the most in even the very strongest of winds was a 60 sized "Super Hotts" with an OS .61 L 2 stroke engine.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
gary you said what i was thinking just didn't know it well put too i might add
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #13
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 8

I like that quote!..just might use it!! Here in Grande Prairie if you don't fly in the wind... you won't fly! very few calm days! it seems!

always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Such is true for saskatchewan as well. Not very many calm days to fly. Although this long weekend we had 3 days in a row of calm, but we were out in the boat all weekend. Can you say Sunburn!!!!!

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
ground pilot
RCC Apprentice
I am: Craig. W

A helicopter.
ground pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Gary: I got the same response from our local full-scale flying pro. He is right, of course, because our models operate in the same ocean of air as full-scale planes do. BUT one day I was having a hard time lining up my approach as the wind kept changing the model's mind for me. He happened to be there, and I said: "You don't think the model 'sees' the air, eh! Look at this." He replied: "Well, gusting is a different matter." Not much I could say to that! Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

When I feel it's too windy to fly anything and still have fun, believe it or not I take out my little TRex 450SE helicopter. It's great in the wind and is just a TON of fun after you learn to fly it. I can out-run the airplanes and do flips and rolls right on the deck if I want... it's a blast and I can fly it more aggressively than any airplane. With the stock motor and ESC is it capable of virtually anything, plus I never have to tune a motor.

Keep in mind I also fly IMAC... 35-40% gassers and such. I just think the TRex is more fun in the wind.
Will Fly For Food.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor

The plane doesn't know its windy is relative. The plane knows when it hits an airpocket and drops or a windshear and piles into the ground. On the praries where it's flat, is a whole bunch different than in hills and mountains.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #19
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

Ask someone into dynamic soaring what can be found in pockets of air on the lee side of hills.
Will Fly For Food.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Ah, yes. I'm getting older and I had forgotten sloping with a Goldberg Gentle Lady decades ago. Thanks.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.