Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Li-po charger

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I know this has probably been a posted ump-teen times but... I'm looking for a 2-3 cell li-po charger (balancing) that is AC or AC/DC and not too much $ under $150.. I've posted this and not looked into previous posts, because it seems a new better (cheaper) charger comes out every 2 monthes.. I have used my Triton in the past but it doesn't balance..( I know I could get just a balancer but I want to get a "just for my li-po's chager"So my ? is what do you electric Guru's recommend?????
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1
Have a look at the FMA Cellpro 4. It is a balancing charger that you can purchase differant adapter plugs so that you can charge most any kind of Lithium cell. The charger is about $80.00 (US), and the adapters are about $10.00 (US). It is an excellant balancing charger.
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
It depends.

First, whose lipos are you using? Most balancing chargers come with either the JST balance plug (big, white e.g. Common Sense, Venom, etc) or the TP plug (small, black, TP, FlightPower). You can get adapters to go from one to the other, but why bother with the extra expense if all your lipos use the same balance lead. All your lipos do have balance leads, right?

Second, how big are your packs? If you've got mostly small packs (<1200 mAh), then the Venom 2-3 cell balancer comes with a wall-wart and costs ~$35. The E-Flite Celectra isn't bad, but it's a DC charger.

If you need more amperage for bigger packs, the MRC "Brains" are pretty good. The 977 sells for about $150, but is a multi-charger, not just lipos.

Your problem is in looking for an AC charger. Most on the market don't come with a power supply, probably to keep the price-point down. But it's not hard to adapt a PC power supply to provide 5A 12v power. Or you can find 12-15V PS's at surplus stores... I got one for a satellite system for $10.
Eagles may soar,
but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Squidbait is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mario M

I am also very confused????
There are soo many charger brands some with built in balancers and others without.

I am currently using a cheap lipo charger with a blinky balancer but will soon need to upgrade. Many people are using the Thunder Power 1010C and a Thunder Power balancer, but I just can't drop that much hay for that setup.
funford is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
RCC Contributor

How big are your packs? And do you expect to get bigger ones in the future?

There are a few balancing chargers that will handle up to 2000 mAh packs in a reasonable charging time, (an hour or so), but once you start looking at bigger packs (4s+) and larger capacities, you're going to have to drop some serious coin for a charger that will do them in an hour or two.

If you're going to stick with 3s packs, the Common Sense Balancing Charger isn't a bad choice. Maximum output is only 2 amps, so if you start going with larger capacity packs, like 3700 or 4200, it's going to take closer to 2 hours to charge them.

Other than that, it's a pretty decent rig for ~$100.
Eagles may soar,
Old 08-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
There are a few good charger balancers out there but if you sticking to 4 cell and under keep your charger and use a V-balancer
there $57 , this place also has a few charger/balancers in stock as well.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
RCC Contributor

If you've got a Triton and a Blinky, you really don't need a dedicated lipo charger. You can plug the Blinky in while the lipo's charging - it'll do essentially the same job as a balancing charger.

The Triton may not charge as quickly as some of the newer lipo chargers, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Triton's charge profile is conservative, and while it takes a bit longer, will prolong your battery's life.

What is it about the Triton-Blinky combo you don't like?
Eagles may soar,
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
Max Continuous
RCC Apprentice

I agree, a lipo charger and blinky is all you really need. The blinky will balance while you charge, after the charge is complete and prior to the charge. At $26, great value for the money. I have four blinky's that I use with my Lipoly 4 charger so every battery is balanced on every charge. They are also a generic fit for many battery types and tap styles.

Another advantage is that they connect to the battery, not the charger. So lets say you purchased a charger/balancer combo then decided for some reason, down the road, you wanted a different charger ( perhaps a higher cell count or capacity ) now you run the risk of being stuck with an obsolete balancer that may or may not work with your new charger and will most likely require the purchase of another balancer. ( unless you stay with the same manufacturer ) Not the case with a blinky. I can balance my 3 cells on the Greatplanes Lipoly four and my 5 & 6 cells on my Hyperion charger, Blinky is not propriatory, therefore does not discriminate.

I am not a blinky salesman but a big fan of the K.I.S.S philosophy.
Don't tell my mother I'm a pilot. She still thinks I'm a piano player in a house of ill repute.
Max Continuous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mark Meunier

Total Props: 0 - for the Cellpro bal;ancing charger, which is cheap and very effective. you do need a powersupply or a 12V battery to charge with though.
Formosa inverted =
dadzilla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
RCC Apprentice
I am: Willliam K.
# of RCs: 20

The FMA Cellpro 4 is, for any money, the way to go (IMHO). Just buy the adaptors if you need them ($10.00) each. Absolute no brainer to use, and they'll do li-ion cells if you go that route. Plug in the battery, turn on the power-simple.
It's display will tell you everything you want to know. It charges my 3s 3300s to 12.62v faster than my Triton (12.48v), my 109 or my Electri-Fly (12.54v) It finishes fully balanced and fully charged, I bought 2 with adaptors for TP / PQ. CHEERS, BILL (if there's one drawback it's that it will only do one pack at a time)
Good Day, WMK.
i-fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.