Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark B

Total Props: 0
Supertigre Engines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is everyone's thoughts on the Supertigre engines?
I am going to be getting a Hanger 9 Twist 40 size and I am trying to decide what engine to put in it. I was specifically looking at the G51 engine.

This plane will be my second one. My first was a HobbyZone Supercub and now I want a glow powered one.
I am not a stunt flyer (Yet!! ) so I don't need the plane to have tons and tons of power(I can't believe I just said that !!! ) but I don't want it to be underpowered either.
As always price is factored in too
Eventually when I get more experience and comfortable enough to use the plane on high rates I would like to get a bigger engine for it .

Thanks for your inputs

Short Circuit is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
First of all, you are choosing a stunt plane for your first nitro plane.
This is a big step from the cub. Do you have someone to help you at the flying field? If not, you may want to go a bit milder.

The engine you have chosen is fine IF it is broken in properly on the ground with 2 or 3 tanks. Then you will be able to adjust your idle setting and then be able to fly. You will need to start rich and let the ring seat. One click on the main needle will make a difference.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

I have been following the posts as to picking the plane. As always there is a lot of different views and opinions. I think the evolution line of engines are great. Lots of power and already to go with very little tweaking. THis is just an opinion and I am sure there is going to be a ton more VIEWS on this.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor

I have been reading a huge thread on RCUniverse about the Twist and it is said that it can be a real docile flyer as well as a stunt plane.
The wing area is more than a Nexstar with a shorter wing.
After a few conversations here I had decided to get this instead of the Nexstar.
Kind of 2 planes in one for me.
There are plenty of guys at the flying field I just started to go to that are willing to help me. A couple of real good stunt flyers there too.
I like the price of the G-51 compared to the others too. So does my wife !!!
I am hoping to get alot of different views and opinions about this.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

I love ST engines, mostly for their price.

I hate their carbs, but as I have chosen to buy ST engines for the last 4 or 5 glow planes I have put together, I can't hate it that much.

The carbs are finicky, and require some practice to get set up reliably. They are strong runners IMO, and are a good value if you are willing to bugger around with them to get them set up. I have found that once set up, they need very little tweeking though.

I've met alot of guy's that can't get a ST engine to run, and nothing is worse than getting an engine that you can't set up properly.

If I were you, I'd consult those you fly with, as they will be the ones who can give you hands on help. If they can recommend a ST engine, and are willing to help you out in case of problems, get one.

If the guy's you fly with all steer you away, I'd go with their recommendation. Right now, you want to fly, not be stuck on your own trying to learn how to spark up your Tigre.

The difference in price between an OS (for example) and a ST is fairly substantial, but you want to be flying your face off this summer, not swearing
Michael Gyger
MAAC 58295
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13
Short Circut, I have no experience with S.T. engines so I will not comment on them, I understand where your coming from for dollar value in an engine but I also agree with Canhos about frustrating hard to tune engines.
I can offer advise on engines that I have first hand experience with. First off-
O.S. 46 AX. great engine, totally reliable, easy to tune and plenty powerfull for the twist. Downside is it is on the pricey side.

Evoultion 46NT. In my opinion it is every bit as good as the O.S. plus it is a little cheaper.

GMS 47. This engine gets my pick as best engine for your dollar. It pulls an APC 11x6 faster than both the O.S. and Evo. and very easy to tune. Best of all it is cheaper than the S.T.

You will hear different opinions on each of these engines, kind of like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate.

In my opinion, go for the GMS 47. I have never regretted buying mine.
Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
I have to echo the remarks of thuebner (AKA Travis). Trav and I fly a lot togeather and we both bought a GMS .47 over the winter to put in planes we were building. We weren't sure what to expect but we took a chance on them and have been more than happy with them. Relatively easy to tune (and I am not what you would call a whiz at it) and will out power both my OS .46 AX's, my OS .46 FXI and also my Evolution .46 PTS. I liked it so much I bought two of it's big brothers, the GMS .61 and the GMS.76 for planes that I built, which run equally as well and are also developing really good power and we are still breaking them in running on the rich side. I do have a Super Tigre G90 to put in a 120 Chippy but I havn't run it yet so can't comment on ST, but I'm sure it will be fine also. For the price diff give GMS a try you just might like them too. A.46 or .47 size engine will have more than enough for the Twist.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Alpha Piper
RCC Apprentice

super tigre 45

I had a super tigre 45 and worked great with lots of power.Only thing i didnt like was the big muffler.I also has a evolution 46 which worked good until it started dead sticking after aboout 6 months.Just removed the baffle in muffler and away it went again with no probs.both are very reliable engines
Alpha Piper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Clarke
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 4

I have an Evolution .46 in my twist and it has plenty of power for this plane. It has enough power to hover the plane but when you throttle back you are able to fly around just above stall point, this engine has a very good transition, and will still run quite well even if the needles arent perfectly set.
Adam Clarke

MAAC# 75232
Aeroworks 75cc Extra 260
DA 85
JR 9303 2.4
atc666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor

Good opinions here, I'd like to read more if anyone's got 'em

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.