Issues with Great Hobbies?!? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I gave up on Great Hobbies and Hobby Wholesale a few years ago.
I used to buy lots of stuff from Hobby Wholesale when they were smaller and more person oriented, but when they got bigger it seemed that they became more of a mail order place than a hobby store, if I called with a question nobody could give me an answer, when I went in to the store in person I was always treated like a rank beginner unless it was somebody who knew me, now in defense of HW, I'd rather see them treating people like a beginner than an expert and having somebody who truly is a beginner end up with the wrong stuff. However, my allegiance to them ended when I was in their store one saturday and heard one of the people behind the counter telling a customer (whom I knew incidentally and who is an accomplished pilot) that you "can't even consider getting into turbines for less than $30,000". I suggested that wasn't the case and when questioned was told that "you must be cheaping out in area's that aren't safe". So, I quietly walked away from any business dealings there.
I gave on on GH when I ordered a new transmitter module and a receiver in person in the edmonton store, I lived in Red Deer at the time so when it came in I asked them to put it on the bus. When I got the package, they had sent me a channel 49 receiver and a channel 35 module. I called them to tell them of the problem and was replied to with "the 49's were backordered so we just sent you that one for now" great, what the hell am I supposed to do with a channel 35 module, so I said I wanted to send it back and the response was to send it in to horizon to get it changed. Yeah, don't think so.........
Anyway, I try to stick to the smaller stores now, and if I can't get it from there I try a different smaller store.

One exception I've had to the smaller hobby shop getting bigger and not treating customers the same is PM hobbycraft in Calgary, they've grown huge amounts in the past 10 or so years and the staff there are still generally pretty knowledgable and they treat me well. If there is a problem with an order they take care of it right away, I'm not left to do the leg work.

Another store that has treated me very well and is only a couple years old is hobby extreme in Red Deer, they have a pretty good stock of most stuff, and what they don't have they actually order when they say they will.

Well, that's been my experiences
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
I have always had mixed results from pretty much all hobby stores. As far as shipping some here and some there, I only do that if I need parts right away.

Here is my take on it though guys.... alot and I mean ALOT of guys on here are into the hobby in a farily serious way, ie not your average run of the mill trainers and parts. So from a Retailer perspective what is going to be more profitable for you, carry and stock parts that will serve 90% of the RC community or try to keep up with technology and stock parts for us 10% of the hobby and if they don't sell those parts within a month or two they will be outdated, and sit for years. I understand why they don't have alot of the stuff I need so for me, I look across the border if I need something asap.

One thing I do hate and am not afraid to say it is Great Hobbies search engine. Just AWFUL.

My $0.02
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
My experiences with GH are generally good. Are they perfect? No, but then nobody else is either. I do believe that Gary and crew have their hearts in the right place and when something does go wrong they try to make it right. Can't really ask for more than that. If you do not get issues resolved to your satisfaction I am quite sure certain Gary would like to know, how else can corrections be made? They have my continued support...
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17
Any purchases I've made from GH has been no problems. Delivery was quick too, actually I was surprised how quick I received it. When I order I usually call direct.
Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

Total Props: 0
Well, looks like there are as many experiences (good or not so good) as there are modellers. Truth of the matter is, I don't think any of us serious modellers can go any length of time without buying from any one hobby shop in Canada. It is not uncommon for me to have 2 servos coming from one, a 3rd coming from another hobby shop, and then I have to hunt one down used or something. To finish up my Yak, I had equal $500 orders at each hobby shop, and then went and spent another $100 at my LHS. We need them all I think!

So, I will probably keep supporting eveyone until I die, this hobby addiction is just too strong for me!! As mad as I get if there is a part missing in the order, the next time I need something, I'm right back on the phone or Internet making another order . Friendliness and professionalism over the phone and via e-mail have always been top notch, though.
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Yes, that sounds like a pretty good approach BigBreeze. I too buy from many places. As with most things in life, I find that as long as you are polite in your dealings with people, they will generally respond positively. Hobby shops are no different.

If you can't find what you need at one place, then there's nothing wrong with buying it elsewhere.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tom G

Yeah i had problems with them splitting up orders and charging shipping costs twice. Not to happy, but a few phone calls and emails later, we got it figured out.

Also bought something that was not stocked, however I was not made aware of that when we ordered off the website. When it went on backorder, i found the item somewhere else and tried to cancel the order with GH. They charged me for having to send the item back to supplier. Thats just dumb, it was a $20 part and the little coloured buttons indicating stock where not on the site yet.

Now i usually just go to the LHS, easier to talk to someone and have them order if needed.
TomG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
RCC Junior Contributor

those little colored button mean squat i've placed many order's that are all in stock and then find out three weeks later that it was actually backordered to the factory with no email to tell me so

sorry that one hit a sore spot
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

If you think your US hobby shop so great. why dont you ask them how much did they put out in 2006/2007 to sponser RCTV which most of us CANADIANS injoy watching all winter

Originally Posted by stikflyer
My experience and the experience of a co-worker has been the same as Bigbreeze. For the largest hobby shop east of Montreal they seem to never have the parts I need. I have found a good online dealer south of the border whose prices are cheaper than any I can find around here and shipping only takes 4 or 5 business days. If I was to order something from across the water in PEI it would take at least a week.
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Actually those little stock dots are quite accurate ....... only problem is that they may be in stock out west but not in PEI ... so it all depends on which is filling your order.

I always ask who has it in stock and then arrange the where why and how much.
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.